New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much $$
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much would I expect to pay for a rebarrel job. This is what I want: 1. Douglas barrel, 2. banded front sight, island rear, barrel band swivel, 3. three pos saftey. 4. reblued.

This is a very nice Berlin Mauser action. Bolt face would not need to be altered. Also, I will be picking up everything except the barrel and saftey. Thanks, JC

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Check with ITD. They have short chambered several barrels for me and I had good results. They would do all you ask.
http://www.itdcustomgun.com/

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Labor to rebarrel, which includes rebluing runs $230. Douglas barrel runs $248 and the safety is $180 with $150 for installation of all the parts--sights, safety and sling swivel. Looks like $808 plus shipping

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I asked ITD about doing a 98 for me and the prices were very reasonable and you can't beat the cost of one thier new Douglas barrels...Guy swear by theri work as well. For the cost you can;t beat them... I'm sure you are not going to get a Mike Mcabe or Ed Lapour style metal work but for the money you can't beat them.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you can find many who will do the work cheaper than I will.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
....but not better.

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Something tells me that Toomany Tools is worth the couple dozen extra bucks he might cost. You can 'race to the bottom' and probably find somebody who will do it cheaper. But then I've seen some chambers that were oval and blue jobs that were too hot/cold and goofy colors. There is some saying about about the longterm bitter taste of poor quality versus saving a few bucks in the short run that comes to mind.

Have somebody that knows what they are doing do the work. It's been my observation that those who know what they are doing charge a bit more. Money well spent. Don't let 'cheap' be the deal maker.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As I said I had ITD short chamber a couple of barrels. I was very happy with the results. I can't speak to their other work. For their price I'd bet there is no action work prior to install of the barrel.

Those very same barrels after I stuck them on my actions went on west to John who handled the installation of the sights, barrel band and blueing and in one case serious feeding work. His satin blue is fantastic and I love the script lettering on the barrel.

ITD is just hard to beat on the barrel. Like I said I used them both on the same projects and loved the results.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Labor to rebarrel, which includes rebluing runs $230. Douglas barrel runs $248 and the safety is $180 with $150 for installation of all the parts--sights, safety and sling swivel. Looks like $808 plus shipping

IMO this is A Deal. My first SWAG at a price came up with over $1000 but included soldering and a rust blue. Yeah I'm sure you can get it cheaper than TMT's price; by that I mean it'll look cheaper too. IMO this is a good deal offered by a good craftsman.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

IMO this is A Deal. My first SWAG at a price came up with over $1000 but included soldering and a rust blue. Yeah I'm sure you can get it cheaper than TMT's price; by that I mean it'll look cheaper too. IMO this is a good deal offered by a good craftsman.
Regards, Joe

Take a look at some posts from a year ago in Sept-Nov by TMT with pictures of a .450 rigby he was doing. The owner couldn't be happier with the results.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck1911:
....but not better.

John does excellent work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote