New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reciever Sight for a 1898 Krag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know what Lyman or Redfield Peep Sight that goes on an Springfield Krag? I see in the posts under Rice Peep Sight for a Krag that there are a couple of Redfields or Lymans. Those shown are mounted on both sides of the receiver so maybe they are different brands.

Gracias,

Hoot

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
My 1899 Krag sporter has a Lyman 578ME mounted on it.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redfield made a very nice sight for the Krag. The mounting was very slick. I will have to dig around to find the model number. The Lyman was a 48K.
Occasionally you can snag these of ebay but the prices will be high.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot, it's the Redfield # 70 K, or the Pacific K-1 and K-2 if I remember right. Very nice, but can be hard to find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hoot I'll post a picture of mine if I recall it's a Lyman and I'll check the model number. If you find me a Rice peep in nice shape I'll trade you this one.....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Hoot I'll post a picture of mine if I recall it's a Lyman and I'll check the model number. If you find me a Rice peep in nice shape I'll trade you this one.....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I happen to have one of these for a Krag that I purchased in the hope that it would fit a 1903 Spfld. It does not and is up for adoption if you PM me.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate your taking the time to post me. I have a couple of old peep sights that I bought in a box of a lot of other things at an estate sale. I'll bet that neither one will fit. I will look, but first, I'll have to find them.

458 Win

That sight looks like a good one for just shooting a Krag and that's all I want to do. The Lymans and Redfields are pretty much a target sight. Thank you for your offer, but I have no idea where one would get a Rice Sight.

Muchas gracias,

Hoot

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well as it turned out, I have six Lyman/Redfield Sights and not a damn one will work on the Krag. I think they fit Mauser and Springfield 1903s. However, not one has a Model Number on them anywhere. No way of telling what the model is. Thinking back a number of years ago, there was a guy that attended the Albuquerque Gun Show that had a table of nothing but "Peep" sights. He went by a name like "Peep" Sight Guy or something like that. I'll bet that he would know the model number at a glance if one could contact him.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Have you tried those numbers I listed in the Rice peep-sight thread?

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman,

No I haven't tried the numbers listed as I was looking to see if any of the ones that I have would work. The name Nick Strobel sure rings a bell for me. I think this was the guy who was at the Albuquerque Gun Show with a large table full of aperture sights. I will start looking at the numbers you listed as soon as I get back from the Dallas Safari Club Convention.

Muchas gracias,

Hoot

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If you have no luck with those guys, Hoot, and can't find Nick's book, let me know.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The sight I have is exactly like this one and is a Lyman 33 with the 1995 patent date on it. I paid $160 for it and was hoping it would fit my Alolph Minar 1903 but the 33 was made specifically for the Krag.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you still looking for a Springfield receiver sight? I am pretty sure that I have a couple of Redfields and possibly one Lyman. I have six in total and not a damn one will fit a Krag.

Gracias,

Hoot

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Hoot, it's the Redfield # 70 K, or the Pacific K-1 and K-2 if I remember right. Very nice, but can be hard to find.

I got lucky and found a pacific K-2 on e-bay a while back.

It really tightened up the grouops compared to the horrid military sights.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote