New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering Laminated Stocks??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for source to do checkering job on Ruger No. 1 w/ factory laminated stocks. I see factory laminated stocks checkered, but figure they use mechanized method and not sure if individuals want to tackle the laminated stocks?? Is there a problem w/ the diamond tips breaking off when the tool makes the points?? All help appreciated.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD,
I have checkered a NEF slug gun and an aftermarket 10-22, both with laminated stock and had no problems. Be aware there is always the possibility of losing a tip or two in the process but that can be minimized by a knowledgeable checker-er. The main factor is how well the lamination process has bonded the plies together. PM me if you cannot find someone local. No need to send the whole firearm, just the stocks and photo, sketch, or tracing of what you want.
Mike

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Tim Smith-Lyon at classiccheckering.com or phone at 601-885-9223, he does good work at reasonable prices. Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had tim checker two different laminate stocks for me and they turned out fine.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
jon valicek in canyon lake, tx did a boyd's pepper laminate for me... 16 lines/inch.... coarse checkering, because i want to be able to hang on with wet gloves or slippery hands...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote