New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood for Rifle Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What kind of woods are suitable for making rifle stocks?. I'm thinking of making my own stock, but want to make it out of something other than walnut. Any suggestions?.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
There are two excellent alternatives, Myrtle and Maple.

Myrtle (mostly from Oregon) can be drop dead beautiful. Its characteristics are quite similar to walnut. Unfortunately, O'Connor have it a bad name once as he had a rifle stocked with it and apparently the blank had not been properly dried, or maybe not properly finished. Anyhow, he professed long and loud that myrtle would "never quit walking." In truth, if properly dried and finished it will prove as stable as any good walnut.

As a stock wood maple is legendary. If you don't like the light color it can be stained or given a sungi (sp) finish - which I think is most beautiful.

There are dozens of other wood that can be used, but they start falling into the category of exotics. Many are not as expensive or scarce as one may think, but all of them have one or more characteristics that make them less then desirable.

On the other hand, you could be daring.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could also go with birch. That is the wood they stock cheap guns with. If it were me though I think that I would opt for teak. It looks somewhat like walnut, but is much harder and tougher. It is about as heavy as laminate though.

Kent

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned there is only one stock wood and that is thin shelled walnut, English, Turkish etc...

Teak is not a stock wood, it is much too brittle...I have never seen a teak stock in 50 years of building guns, not to say that it hasn't been done...It would weigh a ton.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at some of the exotic woods (Bloodwood, Canarywood, Lacewood etc). Have not gotten a price for a piece large enough for a rifle stock, might be way too expensive. Will try too find out sone more of the caracteristics/prices of the different wood types. I assume I'm looking for a wood that is easy to machine/carve, is strong, but not brittle. Does not creep or "walk". Anything else

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi efryman
Here are some non walnut stock timbers

American woods
Screwbean Mesquite
Oriental Flowering Pistachio

Australia used these timbers for SMLE stocks
from 1915 to 1955
Coachwood - Ceratopetalum apetalum
Queensand Maple - Flindersia brayleyana
(In America it is called Oriental wood)

Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by efryman:
What kind of woods are suitable for making rifle stocks?. I'm thinking of making my own stock, but want to make it out of something other than walnut. Any suggestions?.

Mesquite makes a real nice stock. Don't know if you can find it anymore. I got a couple of blank sized pieces from a friend in the valley, who happened to have a friend with a sawmill! Anyway, he said most all mesquite production was going for flooring...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote