Notify
Tools

Seeking info on Sako L61R Mag. action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted
Can anyone please assist,
I have a very poor knowledge on Sako rifles and am hoping someone may assist.I have my eye on an early model Sako L61R which is in 300 Win. Mag Cal.
My question is this. Is this magnum length Sako action now in 300 Win. Mag. cal able to accept "Full" length mag rounds (ie 300 H&H or 375 H&H) without major modification or is this action only suitable for the "Short" mags. I am looking at building up a 300 H&H rifle. Any advice appreciated.
JWK

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend John,

Please look here: http://www.sako.fi/downloads.php

It shows on the pdf manual download tht the rifle goes up to .375 H&H. I hope this helps you. Thanks...Bill.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will. I just rebarreled a 300 Win L61R to 300 Weatherby with no other modifications. It feeds as well as before.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information folks.
Very helpful
JWK

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
FWIW, a 300 H&H reamer will not clean up a 300 Win mag chamber. In fact, my 300 Wby isn't perfect. That will require setting the barrel back which will leave a small gap in the inletting. Purely cosmetic issue.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JohnWKiely,

Many decades ago I had a Sako 61 made into a custom .375 H&H Improved. What I did not appreciate at the time was the lack of CRF in that Sako action.

For that matter that action only has a two position safety and I can't unload the chamber with the safety on!

Not a good design for my use. Now I know better, too late.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.