New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluing repair.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Couple of years ago I picked up a very nice pre-64 M70 (3006) Featherweight. Only wart is sone “wear” to the bluing on top of the barrel. (Looks like it was hung upside down in a gun rack. It’s not bad, just annoying and I’m not about to re-blue the barrel. Any way to repair spots like these?

https://imgur.com/a/cps8NUH

Posts: 871 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easiest way is to degrease and touch up with Brownells Oxpho. Next, you rust blue the scratches ( www.rustblue.com ), American Formula. Thirdly, you can get an ounce or two of hot bluing caustic solution from a local 'smith. Heat the barrel section to around 300F and swab on the solution for about 10 minutes.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Until it is re-blued properly it will never look right. Cold blue can be somewhat effective, but even that takes some trial and error. As cold blues go oxpho is about as good as it gets.
Im working on a project rifle now, after trying lots of stuff I have found that Arts Belgian blue does a satisfactory job without lots of specialized equipment, that is what I will be using. Lots of people have gone to rust blue. It gives the best results without the need for caustic salts.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
Couple of years ago I picked up a very nice pre-64 M70 (3006) Featherweight. Only wart is sone “wear” to the bluing on top of the barrel. (Looks like it was hung upside down in a gun rack. It’s not bad, just annoying and I’m not about to re-blue the barrel. Any way to repair spots like these?

https://imgur.com/a/cps8NUH

It well not look right unless you re-blue the whole firearm. been there done that.

Use it as it is and don't worry about it getting a little banged up.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get real close with cold blue, but its somewhat tedious as you must apply and polish the spot over and over until your satisfied then oil and place in a dark spot for a couple of days..If you don't like it polish it back off, at any rate it will look better than no blue in that spot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote