New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Husquavarna question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Found this 30-06 Husq. in a small town gun store.
$250 Can,has a cracked stock.
I can fix the stock,could not get the registration done because there was no mod. number,have to phone back tomorow and have it mailed.
The gun has heavy (fat) stock,the barrel is marked Husq.....etc
The action looks like a FN (dual cuts in the collar) solid LH action rail.
The floorplate, a modifide 98 there is a little pin where the normal countersunk release button of the 98 is
This will let you remove the floorplate the same way as the militairy 98's
The bolt looks like a standard 98 with wing safety.
Checking my books I can only find Husq. with a safety on the RH side of the action also the Husq.don't seem to have the inside collar
Olson in his book the Mauser mentions that the early Husq's (+/- 1948) where build on actions like this.
The gas shield on the bold has a lot more blueing on it than the rest of the gun,thinking it may not be the org. bold.

The question: any body hear of a Husq.like this or is this a thrown together FN with a Husq.barrel screwed in.

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Martin,
Check...www.pettsons.net.
There is very good Husqvarna info there.
Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi martin!

By your description I would say it could be a 640 model!

The actions was made by FN for Husqvarna. If it is a Husqvarna there should be a logo with Husqvarnas logo and "SWEDEN" engraved on top of the action. If there is a scopebase installed it could be difficult to se this but there is usual a part of the logo visible.

This is a picture of a Husqvarna 640 (30-06) I bougth a week ago here in Sweden.

There was a few different styles of stocks made. This one have the slim forend but the rear part of the stock should be similar.

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a rifle like that at a pawn shop last year. One of those pawn shops that dont realy deal in guns and "dumbasses" running the place. It was a Husky and the action was just like my JC higgins FN.
It had a nice shaped stock and nice checkering as I remember. They wanted to much$$ for it. I must not of had extra money at the time or I would have haggled with them on the price.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for your repl gents:

Fred :I'll check it out
Stafan: thanks for the pic. the gun looks exactly like the picture except the forearm it is fatter, no snabble (?) I think I can see the little pin sticking out the one that opens the floorplate.
GSP: talked to the store and bought it.

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred thanks for the link, nice site.
Found it to a 1949 mod.640

Thanks again
Martin