New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a 7x57 barrel be Re-bored to 8x57?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking about getting a couple of Ruger M77 MKIIs in 7x57 (getting a good price on them). I would like to have one of them converted to 8x57. Can the 7x57 factory barrel be re-bored and re-chambered to 8x57? If so, approximately how much would this procedure cost? Is this something most good riflesmiths can do? Does any other work need to be done for this conversion? (magazine or anything?)

Also, approximately how much would it cost to just have the gun rebarreled to 8x57? Just a good, blued barrel - not a benchrest quality barrel.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Posts: 52 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Can the 7x57 factory barrel be re-bored and re-chambered to 8x57? ost good riflesmiths can do? Does any other work need to be done for this conversion? (magazine or anything?)

Also, approximately how much would it cost to just have the gun rebarreled to 8x57? Just a good, blued barrel - not a benchrest quality barrel.Thanks for any help, Scott

Yes, it can be done. Cost will vary depending on who does it. Most "good riflesmiths" are NOT set up to do reboring & rifling - this is a specialty! But there are a number of people who specialize in this art!

I don't believe any changes would have to be made except the reboring and a slight alteration to the chamber. The 8X57 has a different shoulder than the 7X57. The head-to-shoulder length and the shoulder diameter of the 7X57mm are both less than those dimensions on the 8X57mm, so the chamber MIGHT clean up w/o having to set the barrel back one turn to do the chamber cleanup. No magazine alteration should be necessary to feed the 8X57 from the M77 7X57 magazine.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Also, approximately how much would it cost to just have the gun rebarreled to 8x57? Just a good, blued barrel - not a benchrest quality barrel.

Figure about $300 for a barrel installed and blued. A good one like a Douglas XX grade or Shilen will be only $50 more.

I'd rebarrel instead of rebore.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote