Find
Notify
Tools

Savage M99 Safety Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted
I have a M99-R made in the early '50's. Almost every time I pull the trigger the safety comes forward and blocks the lever. I am going to tear the gun apart this weekend and try to fix it. Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks
ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have also had this problem on stronger loads in my 99 and look forward to hearing about the solution. Sometimes I think it is my own hand/fingers doing the foul deed but I have never looked into the problem closely.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I have two load levels I use in my 99-R. Both are either one or two grains under the max. Last week I was shooting a load of 42gr of RL-15 and Hornady 165gr bullets. Not a wimpy load but not a hot load either. Hopefully I can find time this weekend to look into it.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its an easy fix, but if you have not been inside a Savage then you will do well to have a gunsmith fix it...Shouldn't cost more $25.00 to put more tension on the underlever safty of a 99R....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been inside a savage 99, and I say let a gunsmith do it.

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I have been inside this one a couple of times. As long as I have my parts diagram handy it's not bad.
I stay far away from the rotary mag. It's not broke and doesn't need fixing.

I think I had more headaches fixing one of my milsurp Mausers than I did on this cleaning up the M99

Need to keep this gun in good working order. It gets out quite often.

ZM

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Its an easy fix

It's an easy fix as long as you keep track of that (insert expletive here) itty-bitty "S" shaped leaf spring. It's a matter of removing a roll pin, sliding out the safety lever, being mindful of aforementioned spring, and widening the leafs to make it stiffer. Job took about 20 minutes. 10 minutes to find the screwdriver to remove the buttstock and 10 minutes to do the actual work
Should be good for another 50 years. I don't think it will jog forward anytime soon.

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if you have been inside the Savagae and know your way around then you need to replace that little "S" shaped wire spring that allows for the tension on the safty, as it has weakened or is not in its proper position..If its an old gun the spring has probably lost its life.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well if you have been inside the Savagae and know your way around then you need to replace that little "S" shaped wire spring that allows for the tension on the safty, as it has weakened or is not in its proper position..If its an old gun the spring has probably lost its life.....

OK

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=144060A&MC=

I am surprised they are still available.

ZM