New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting fixed sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 8mm Mauser rifle has two folding leaf rear sights and a standing front and I prefer using these instead of a scope. After experimenting with a few different brands of ammunition, I have found that it likes the Federal Power Shock 170 grain ammunition a lot as this groups as small as my eyes can get it to, though the groups are about two inches to the left of the point of aim at 100 yards. (I tried Sellier and Bellot but for some reason the bolt locked tightly and I have stopped using this on the advice of friends here.)

Could I try to use a pair of pliers to bend the front sight a little and get it to shoot straight with a bit of trial and error or is this something best left to a gunsmith? It looks simple enough but I am not very mechanically inclined and therefore this request for advice.

Thanks in advance for your views and good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Drift the rear sight a TINY < !--color--> bit to the right.

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a close look at your rear sight. The blades should be part of a dovetail that slides into the base. If so, it can be drifted a bit to the right.

Sometimes the rifle builder will file and polish the dovetail sides flush with the base, making it look like a solid unit. Close inspection under glass, or a slight tap with a punch, will expose the dovetail.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote