New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage re-barreling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see lots of info on rebarreling other guns but none on savage arms. I was looking at buying a 300wsm in a savage striker and having it rebarreled to a 338wsm. The problem with the striker barrel is that with the muzzle break it is only 14 inches and I have been told that for that round the barrel needs to be at least 15" not including break. olefish

Posts: 68 | Location: WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't say I've ever seen a Striker, but if the barrel is mounted the same way as that on a 110 receiver, they are very easy to change. You just need a barrel vise and a barrel nut wrench, plus headspace (go) gauge for the round you are using. Provided the barrel nut isn't stuck on, changing a 110 barrel is a 5 minute job, including setting the headspace.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
ive got a 338-06 barrel sitting here im really thinking hard about putting on my striker. ill prbly go 20 or 22 inches with it. jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any sudjestions on whom to purchase a barrel from? I would not put the barrel on myself but would have it done by a pro.olefish

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
olefish,

Any barrel maker can make the barrel, and any good gun smith can chamber it.

If you do it yourself (really no big deal), all you need is a head-space guage (or sized case will do) and a nut wrench. Pac Nor and Sharp Shooter Supply both supply "ready to install" barrels.

Do take the rifle to a good gunsmith to take the factory barrel off. I managed to bend an action trying to get a factory barrel off. Not a good thing.

As far as barrel length, I would not use a cartridge like that in a pistol, but it's your money. It'll work, but it'll be LOUD, and have some kick. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked into this for a friend, Lothar Walther will supply ready to install, crowned, threaded and chambered (non-wildcat) Savage barrels for $305 plus shipping. If you wanted it fluted it was $125 more. This was for a rifle.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help olefish