New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M44 mechanic?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One of my all time favorite deer rifles is an early Ruger M44 Carbine. It’s been well cRed for and I don’t shoot it often but I take care to shoot only jacketed ammo and clean it regularly but every couple of years I want a really competent smith to take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning.

Unfortunately my go to guy passed away and so I am looking for someone who really knows these car ones and how to take them down and buy them back together. (They are notoriously difficult to strip down and put back together). Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks,

DG

Posts: 871 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(They are notoriously difficult to strip down and put back together). Can anyone make a recommendation?

I have a taken them down and put them back to together.

Using the NRA book as reference I didn't find them all that difficult to do.

Your right about them needing to be very clean to work properly.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did I mention that I am not very inclined, mechanically? Seriously, I’m not the guy you want completely stripping down any type of firearm.

Posts: 871 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No matter how un mechanically adept you are, you can do this one; the Ruger 44 is a very simple design; but do not disassemble the trigger mech. Anyway, how often do you need to totally strip it and clean it?
For most hunters, that is once every two decades, or so.
I'm sure you can remove the metal from the wood; clean all you see, and that is enough.
You are wearing it out just taking it apart so often.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote