THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Pillar bedding Mark Basner Hi Tech synthetic stocks.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar bedding Mark Basner Hi Tech synthetic stocks.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Can anybody tell me if it necessary to pillar bed these stocks? They have a solid epoxy construction through the action area.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not absolutely necessary, no.

That said, I would for anything bigger than a .300 mag, and I would add a hidden cross bolt as well behind the front lug. It is easy to do, and is good insurance for the future.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be disinclined to pillar. I would also refrain from installing a crossbolt since doing so only compromises the strength of the shell. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

Kiwiwildcat, I have built up many rifles using the High Tech-Specialties stocks. Your correct in saying the action area of these stocks is a solid mass of (Marine-Tex) epoxy. I have pillar bedded one of these stocks but don't bother these days!
FYI, on that nzshootingandhunting forum run by some "Tool", I did a pictorial "How To bed a rifle stock" post, and I also verbally explained what you need to do, to perform this task correctly . This used a HT-S stock on a Win M-70 barreled action, and was done by me as Homer.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These don't have a shell in the action area. They are solid. Under heavy recoil they can compress behind the recoil lug and/or crack. One of mine did on a .338 Ultra. I have also seen two McMillan stocks do the same thing on big bores. The McMillan's seem to be similarly constructed to these, but I didn't cut one apart to find out.

To keep that from happening again, I reinforce the recoil lug area with a hidden cross bolt and sometimes pillars (depends on the action). I will say that I stole this idea from D'arcy Echols.

This is just what I do and why.

Jeremy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Every Bansner stock I've used (quite a few) does have a shell in the action area. That is, the lay-up completely encloses the solid filler. This is different than the McMillan stocks in which the action mortise is milled out of the solid filler and is more like the Brown Precision/ Lee Six type of construction.
On some of the very light stocks (like the "pounder" from B/P) the filler is not all that stout so pillars can be beneficial.
I have always liked the Bansner stocks, though the styles are limited, and consider them to be a good value. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that about the Bansner stock. Thanks for the information. That makes more sense.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. Stock being used for a lightweight mountain rifle build in 7mm SAUM.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used many Hi Tech stocks through the years, and have done it without on most and with when requested by the customer. Can't say there has ever been any difference- none of my personal ones have pillars.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote