Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted
Deleted by User

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Possible, yes. Practical, probably not.

Right off the bat, you're gonna need a new bolt with a magnum bolt face (or open up the face on the 308 Win bolt). Short action, magnum bolt face bolts aren't exactly common either.

That probably will offset any "savings" in reusing the 308 barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand Pacific Precision sells replacement bolt bodies for about $150. You will need a mag bolt face.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt face is do-able, what will also be needed is a magazine box, follower, and maybe some feed issue after all that. More work than what it would cost if you just went out and bought a new WSM ready rifle

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bolt face opeing ~$50
Rechamber and headspace ~100
Open feed rails ~$50

You are at $200 without lapping the lugs and truing the receiver for about another ~$125

The volume discount may apply and the gunsmith may cut you a deal for say $250

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
You would be far ahead of the game to sell the Remington in 308 and then just buy a new one in
300 RSUM, which is not much different ballistically than a Winchester 300 WSM. If you want a 300 WSM, then Winchester, Savage, or Ruger. A Remington ADL synthetic in 300 RSUM
would be a nice rifle. I had thought of a Model 7 in 300 RSUM as a handy down-in-the-brush elk rifle. Or, if you aren't hung up on new cartidges, get a Remington in 300 WM and get more, not much, velocity than either short magnum. The short action is only about 1/2 inch shorter than a long action. I have never understood the fascination in the "short" action. Now if it was an inch shorter.....

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will rems rsum go by the way side....I mean has it been beaten by winchesters offering in .300 wsm ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An article in Precision Shooting a few months back was done on a custom 7RSAUM against data from a 7WSM. Out to 1000yds was the testing medium, The author concluded that (In his opinion) that the RSAUM is a bit more efficient in it's internal dimensions than the WSM.

I have noticed an awful lot of BR guys using the RSAUM in the past 2yrs for a wildcat,..and that is quite often a foreboding related to the commercial market.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
PC,

Remington short magnums:

They may go by the wayside but if you buy enough brass it doesn't really matter. They have an interesting case for wildcatting since it is the length of a 308 and the diameter of an ultra mag. I am toying with the idea of using the case to make up a 6.5 RSAUM. The Winchester WSM case has just a bit more case capacity than I want. I just wish that someone other than Remington made brass for it.

If you will look there are many rounds that have lost favor and some are only made once a year. If I really like a round I go out and buy 5000 rounds of brass. I won't live long enough to wear them out and the next guy can worry about getting more brass.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought that Winchester made the 300 WSM just long enough (2.95" OAL) so that it wouldn't fit in the Remington short action (max OAL 2.80")?

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote