Find
Notify
Tools

Nephew needs help with Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
My nephew owns a Savage Axis 243, and he told me his interest in building a to start competing in 1000 yard and maybe F-Class back home in Wyoming.

Can a Savage Axis be upgraded like the Savage 110/112/10/12/14 actions can? What are the differences? Can I swap the bolt handle, and put a better trigger in it for him? I have never even looked at one. I figured they were disposable guns like the Remington 783, and Mossberg.

I bought him a 270 in a M700 about 10 years ago and he is 17 and has been shooting it a lot. We had thought about doing the rebarrel on this 700.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 1000 yd. competition either would be a money pit. The actions themselves may be the only thing usable so you may as well start from scratch. The triggers won't be the best and the .243 barrel probably has a twist that is too slow for the 105-108 grain bullets that he'd need to use. No good bullets available in .270 for long range. Find another rifle to use for long range.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you even read my post?

1. Can the Axis be upgraded?

2. Can I swap the bolt handle and put a better trigger?

I know this isn't a Kelby, not everyone is in Kelby money. I just want to know if is the same action as the Savage 110 series, and if it can be upgraded.

It is a given that the action is the only thing worth saving.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As I understand it the Axis while similar to the 110 it isn't a variant. So as "I Understand" the basic 110 parts aren't a drop in. Yes there are some after market triggers for the Axis. Timney makes one.
Sure you can alter your bolt. The barrel installs with a nut like the 110 series.

You can spend lots of $$$$$ trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse.

So yes you could try and turn the axis into a long range rifle and spend a lot $$ and probably not get what you want.

For me a rebarrel of the 270 makes more sense. Or better yet sell both and start from scratch like clowdis suggested.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ramrod,

That is what I needed to know. I'll tell him to trade it for a 110, a T3 or a 700.

He's a smart kid, just not a lot of family support for activities like that on his side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW,
Yes I read your post. My reply in an around about way was NO! The barrel won't work, the trigger sucks, and the stock isn't even similar to what is being used in either prone/sling or F-class. Get the nephew a rifle that he at least stands a chance with. Boots is a great barrel maker, he taught most of those making barrels now, but almost impossible to get a barrel from.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short answer...NO...

Different actions, different trigger assembly's, if you can call the Axis trigger garbage pit a trigger assy...I don't know if there is an aftermarket trigger assy for the Axis...the bolts DON'T interchange directly...but you can interchange SOME parts.

I have BOTH...one Axis I bought it when they first hit my favorite gun store...VERY CHEAP) and 9 LA and SA 110's I've acquired over the years and while I like the Savage actions/rifles, I've been building them since the early 650's, I wouldn't sink too much money into a standard Sav for F class competition unless I went with the Savage action made for aftermarket build-ups...check out Midway.

As is, the Axis has a pizzpoor very flexible stock so you need to start with a Boyd's stock.

After I got my Axis home I stripped it to check it out and compare with a standard 110 and fired off some rounds...the flex at the stock grip was atrocious...I then stripped out the bolt parts that were interchangeable, pulled off the barrel and tossed the action into the junk drawer.

A couple of years later when Boyd's came out with a nice stock I ordered a finished walnut for ~$100, and dug out all the pieces and parts and put it all back together.

The Boyd's walnut stock a nice, well shaped, mostly un-figured stock and fitting for a cheap Axis...it has a 21" SS bbl chambered for the 25-06 and NOW shoots below .75" with several brands and weights of bullets...it seems to like the Nosler 100 gr Part and BT and the Horn 90 GMX and 75 gr Vmax's, and the 100 gr Speer Hot cores after I weigh and ogive sort them. I think with a little work I can get those groups down to a half inch or smaller...for 3-5 shots then the skinny barrel heats up and starts to wiggle.

ALSO...all your answers can be found in the Savage forums....more appropriate for Savage particulars.

You ask a lot of questions here on AR but don't seem to do any homework ahead of time...Clowdis DID answer your question...and by checking out a parts diagram available online from Savage comparing both actions, the answers are obvious...no diss or flame intended.

You CAN build an F class or 100 yd shooter on a Savage action. I have a 1200 plus yd target set up back in the woods, accessible by ATV, about 4 miles from digs and several of my Savage builds will stay on target and/or hit the 2' sq. steel plate when it's calm, BUT none are F class competitive, they WEREN'T meant to be. You build a rifle to be F class competitive or you build a wannabe for shooting sage rats...so to speak.

AS is, the Axis is a cheap "throwaway" rifle with accuracy levels and available calibers plenty good enough for the average hunter. Replace that Mickey Mouse, Tupperware stock with a Boyd's or other aftermarket wood stock and it becomes a somewhat more amenable toy.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look,

I don't belong to any other forums, and I am not interested in starting today.

The kid asked me the question, I had mis-figured that the Edge/Axis was a cheap option for him to get into f-class if it was similar enough to a 10/12 Savage to be reborn with a new barrel, stock and trigger.

A Savage 110 is a less than ideal platform. I think he could shoot in club matches in Wyoming and do fine with it.

I don't live on a computer and I always appreciate the advice I have been given on here. Sometimes I think the advice isn't advice, but more of intervention for crack cocaine, when I only drink alcohol.

I have been on this site since the late 1998 or 1999 after the first refresh and my handle got lost during the refreshes. I come here because I have been for over 14 years and for the most part the place is a good source of information. Try as I might there is a ton of chaff to sort through. Mike Dettore's tag line of asking a question about steak and getting told you want pork chops is often the case on this website.

I appreciate all the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW,
I didn't mean to serve you steak when you asked for pork chops. For years I coached a junior team here in NC and in 4 years I had a couple of them in the top 10 in the Whistler Boy competition at Camp Perry. What I found out pretty quickly was that they would have a mind set depending on their equipment. If they had good equipment they had a mindset that they would be competitive and shot well and tried hard. If they had what they perceived to be inferior quality equipment they didn't try very hard. If you have the financial wherewithall I would at least try to get him something like a Remington .308 police rifle to use at the shorter ranges where he would probably be fairly competitive off the bat and give you something worthy of upgrading in the future. He could shoot the skinny barreled Axis in matches, yes, but if he does poorly he might not care to come back again. I'm not trying to be a smartass but just trying to get you to get the kid started on the right foot if you can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Discussing firearms and reloading practices is alot like discussing politics or religion. There is a good possiblity there will soon be a fight. Especially here on this forum.

I have three Savage bolt action rifles, two of which are Axis rifles (223 Rem.& 308 Win.) the other is a Model 16 Weather Warrior in 250 Savage. All three shoot just as good or better than any of my sporter Lilja, Krieger, A&B or former Hart barreled rifles which are all consistent sub-moa shooters by the way.

I believe the Model 16 is identical to the models you mentioned and is a short action by American terms.
There isn't anything identical between the Axis rifles and the model 16 other than the name "Savage" on the rifle, the similiar gas block lug at the front of the bolt, barrel nut, and the option of using the same scope bases as I recall.

The Axis series are all long action rifles that use a magazine block for shorter length cases such as a 223 Remmy. Although they are not the smoothest cycling rifles I have used, I have never had a feeding issue with either.

The trigger is terrible as it comes from the factory and as another has mentioned, can be up-graded to a Timney. I have seen a Axis IIXP advertised with a factory AccuTrigger which would be a good choice. (I worked my factory Axis triggers over myself and made both quite acceptable for hunting purposes)

Although the comments about the plastic stock being flimsy are true, I have never found it to be an issue. I suppose that is because I tend to not use a "death grip" when I shoot.

The Axis is an entry level rifle that performs quite well for the $$$$ you pay. They are extremely light and well balanced for my build and are great to carry in wet conditions. They make a great truck gun IMO.

As others have mentioned, you would be much better off re-barreling the 700 and up-grading it or probably better yet, get one of the Savage Target Series Rifles. ie: "12 Long Range Precision" rifles. Then you would be done.
Just my thoughts and observations.

Formerly Rae59
1 Trillion seconds = 31,709 years

Posts: 155 | Location: Almost anywhere in The Great state of Texas | Registered: 31 December 2014Reply With Quote