Find
Notify
Tools

SS sight slot blank--need one!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Need someone to point me to a Stainless Steel sight slot blank/filler to fill that ugly void on a SS rifle where I have removed the rear iron sight>
TKS
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Bump -- surely somebody has the source for this??

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never looked for one, but would look in Brownells or Midway. If they don't have one, the you will likely have to resort to having someone make one for you. If you go that route, ask them to use 416 ss if possible. But if not 416 then it sure is not the end of the world.

Any machine shop with a mill will be able to do this. This would be one of those "case-'o-Bud lunchtime specials" for a machinist with any experience at all.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Williams makes a "hard black anodized finish" Slot Blank which is shown on page 28 of their 2007 catalog - $6.95.

1-800-530-9028 will get a catalog to you in a week or so. Or you can go to Williams Gun Sight Company to contact them.
-----

If you used Matte Bases and Rings, it looks like it will match up fairly well, but that is just a guess. Just slid the rear sight off a stainless rifle last week and was thinking the small black Blank would look nice in the Dovetail.

I plan to go back with the Williams Fire Sights though, so the Blank would not be in this particular Dovetail very long.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- I had found the items on Midway and Brownells -- but -- this is for a 1895GS Marlin SS in 45/70. I am removing the rear site and installing a XS ghost ring on top of the reciever -- thus would like a SS type for a bit better appearance -- but that may not be possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might be able to lightly file or sand the Anodize off the visible portion of the Blank. It is held in place with a small Set Screw in the middle of it that screws against the bottom of the Dovetail. So polishing the Anodize off the ends and top "might" do what you want.

In fact, it is shown as extending just sligtly outside the Dovetail in the picture. So, you could even contour it to match the barrel profile if you wanted to.

Someone "might" make a Stainless Front Sight in the 3/8" Dovetail style that you could cut the top portion off-of and file it down. But, I just don't know. Most Sights are a Matte Black to eliminate reflective light.
-----

Once you use those XS Sights for awhile, PM me with how well you like them. They do look solid. Naybe by then I can tell you how the Fire Sights are doing.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I wanted to fill in the dovetail on the barrel of my SS Marlin .22 and a gunsmith I talked to recommended filing a piece of aluminum to fit the slot. So...I'd bet you could use a piece of aluminum to fill in the slot. Or, get a little piece of SS scrap a piece to fit. Getting it to match the barrel profile might be a bit tricky, but with enough time and patience you could probably solve your problem.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
UGH!-- and I once again wrongly assumed this would be easy to accomplish
TKS
G

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
... SS Marlin .22 ...
Ah-ha! I pulled the rear sight off a Marlin 880SS about a month ago. Just went in and looked at it and it appears to be Stainless.

Only problem is the Male Dovetail portion(which would be your blank) has two small holes in it. The Sight arm portion that is sloted for the Height Adjustment Tab must have two Male Studs which "apparently" Press-Fit into the Male Dovetail.

So, if you had one of them, and drove the Arm off, you would still have two small holes in the Male Dovetail. Maybe you could twist it and Shear the Studs off while they are still in the Male Dovetail.

You should be able to see how this is built on the Rear Sight you removed. And I'm sure Marlin would be glad to sell you a Stainless one "if" you want to try doing something with it.

Best of luck to you.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- My local guy thinks he can mill one for me and I should be good to go
TKS
G

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you. That way you can have exactly what you want.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.