Find
Notify
Tools

Hardening time-spray poly?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted
Did a stock with Helmsman poly spar varnish. Two days later, a t-shirt pad left weave marks in the finish, with light pressure in a leather padded vise. Can I speed up the hardening? I know spar is softer than regular. Will a shot of oxygen from my welding tank inside a big baggie do it? Or is heat or UV light an accelerant to the curing??

Hippie redneck geezer

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Most manufacturers formulate their Spar Varnish with linseed oil and Tung Oil. The larger the portion of Tung Oil, the better quality of Spar Varnish. Other companies choose to put more linseed oil in their formulations, primarily to lower the cost. Tung Oil is about four times more expensive than linseed oil. However, linseed oil is an inferior oil for Spar Varnish
linseed oil completely deteriorates causing the finish to breakdown. Additionally, linseed oil's drying and curing time is very long. The increased dry and cure time allows moisture to remain between coats which eventually permits competing products to crack and peel and stops protecting the wood surface. Linseed oil has no waterproofing properties. over time, linseed oil turns a wood finish very dark, almost black
I use truoil with a stain added or thinner.
It doesn't work real good if you try putting a poly finish over it.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Lanny,

Through experience I have found the fastest AND SAFEST way to dry poly is to get warm, dry, moving air to it for as long as possible. With direct heat you run the risk of air bubbles popping up through the finish.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote