New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to look for "custom" guns?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any good websites and dealers who deal in these? Gato's post below got me thinking about this. I am looking for a quality "custom" 257R or 7x57.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you can find a gem or two on Cabela's Gun Library site.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen! I am familiar with Hallowell. In fact I bought my first double, a Kreighoff in 500/416 from him. I have not been to Champlin's recently and have never tried Cabela's. Any others? I just went to Hallowell's. What do you guys think?:
http://www.hallowellco.com/olson_custom_mauser.htm
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sometimes the biesen's have some sweet deals available.

biesen for sale

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter: The workmanship is probably quite well done but the grain run in the stock is certainly different than anything I would build a custom on. I really don't know how to judge it as it appears very different from what is usually considered ideal. It appears to be slab sawed rather than quarter sawed but I might be wrong on that depending on what formation the tree was to begin with. Converging crotches or ??? I'd like to hear what some of the other stock makers think of it. Maybe something to be learned here , for me at least.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks stocker! While I appreciate your observations, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! Having said that, I have re-looked at the stock and I can see, I think, what you are referring to. Perhaps I can get an education here.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i saw a biesen mauser go for 1800 at auction last week but i was already tapped out for the day.i could have cried.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Peter,
The stock does appear to be board sawed but my 7x57 is a super piece of wood that is board sawn and I find nothing wrong with it. That appears to be a super nice rifle and the price is certainly right. It has most features I would have chosen for myself and the execution seems to be very good. Of course you have to see it in your hands to make the final decision. If it shoots as good as it looks you will probably be pleased with it. For me all it needs is Irons and I would be happy with it. The only thing I might check is to see if the pistol grip has had a reinforcing dowel or rod installed as that would be the only weak point with the grain of the stock as it appears.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter:

The price is right, the stock is wrong IMO. I'd pass myself, but to each his own said the man as he kissed the cow.

Be patient, grasshopper. The fact is there are more customs hitting the market all the time at good prices as the original or secondary owners die off. I'm not being morbid, just telling it like it is. Want confirmation, go to any half way decent sized gun show and look at the age of the exhibitors.

Type in "CUSTOM" on gunbroker on, then hit "highest number of bids" and, with patience, you'll find some excellent deals. BUT, deals are where you find them, and Hallowell's has some good prices from time to time, as do most of the others. There are some, who must have some rich clientele, that I can NEVER find what I consider a decent price. I'm not going to name names but one of their names is related to a major body of water. Cabela's is USUALLY high, but every now and then they make a mistake and price one reasonably, especially when its been around a while and they put one on "sale".

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen! I very much appreciate the advice. I will start and keep looking. I do want a rifle that not only looks good but also shoots well.
Peter.