Find
Notify
Tools

1916 Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
popcornKind of a spin off from another thread, but does anyone have any negative issues with the 1916 mauser? Confusedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Which 1916 Mauser? A German M98, or one of the many M95's around?

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
Which 1916 Mauser? A German M98, or one of the many M95's around?

Before Desert Strom or there abouts I boughgt a couple of "1916" Mausers in .308. Yes they reminded me of Mod. 95s. I sporterized one for my youngest son who was in Marine air. It seemed to develope a little bit of set back. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimber of Oregon did a few 243 and 308's on the 94 and 95 actions.

Bad idea!,,especially the 243.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

EekerThanks Duane. combining what you are saying and what JD Steel said about Spanish made Mausers brings this thing into better focus. beerroger

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

They did a bunch on the much better 96 action and everyone I've seen exhibited setback.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 243, for me, has always displayed unpredictable pressure excursions and so I don't usually chamber for it. The Kimber conversions were famous (or rather notorious!) for apparently being performed by ham-fisted drunken gorillas on drugs, or the equivalent, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that excessive headspace caused the setback and not vice versa. In any event a nice case-color job on the receiver is a reasonable alternative since it not only looks good but will also ensure against setback.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote