Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of engraveing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Getting ahead of myselfe on a project, but how is engraveing priced? Amount of coverage, by the hour, or...
Never had one done but thinking about it for a future planned rifle. I have this thing about scroll work, its called I like it. Smiler Not the tiny stuff ,something along the line like Lynton McKenzie's work. Any sujestions on who, also.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on who is doing it and how hungry they are. The prices can be all over the place. There is an ex Purdys engraver out my way that's pretty hungry right now. I suspect he would cut a pretty good deal just to get some work in. The economy has hurt him pretty bad.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
I rebuilt a Browning Superposed for a friend several years ago, 2001 to be exact. There was a guy in Kent, Wa. First name Daryl forgot the last. He charged me $100 to engrave and checker the top action lever that I had to replace due to a broken bolt dog slot. I thought it was quite a bit but it came out looking identical to the original one. He quoted me future work @ $80/Hr. But that was eight years ago and he has since moved to Arazona or New Mexico. I know how to get it touch if need be. He has been a member of the Rifle Makers Guild for many years.

posted Hide Post
It depends on the engraver and what you want done. The type of background treatment, detail of the shading within the scroll, number and size of inlays and so on. You best bet would be to look at the Firearms Engravers Guild of America website. www.fega.com . There is a tab on the left that says "Engravers and Photos" look through and find the work you like. Then contact the engraver and discuss your project.

David Clevinger Engraving
david@dcengraving.com

Posts: 8 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 19 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$80/hr is lots more than the going rate for some of the best in the US. Yes, you can pay more, a lot more depending, but nevertheless some of the finest work done in the US can be commissioned for less. Kinda like building rifles, a known name craftsman can charge more even though his work may not be a bit better than someone else's.

However the craftsman's speed must be considered, so you'd be well-advised to get an estimate for the entire job as well as any hourly charge and/or piecework.

I'll offer some unsolicitede advice here:
1)Examine and compare as many different engraving examples as possible, as up-close-&-personal as possible, and as many different styles & finishes as possible, before making any decision.
2)Don't try to save money by choosing a less-expensive craftsman just because of price, it's a BIG BIG mistake! If faced with the fixed-budget choice of more coverage of lower quality or less coverage of higher quality, ALWAYS ALWAYS choose the higher quality!
3)Choose a craftsman who actually prefers doing the particular style you finally settle on; even the finest workman has a hard time being artistically creative in a style he doesn't care for.

Engraving is much like stock carving, a well-executed job can be beautiful but lots is dog doo-doo IMO. I've had very good luck with Ken Hurst over the years, top-quality work at a reasonable price. He likes large US-style bank-note scroll and bulino, his scene detail is incredible! You'll find his work illustrated in most engraving publications and here's some more.

I plan to have Ken do some more work for me as I can afford it(rueful grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
At this time, I'm not looking for gold inlays or animal scenes. Mostly border work and scroll work. I like the looks of the high wall, just about right in coverage for it.
This is a long way down the road and by then the economy will be improved... Roll Eyes, and It'll cost me out the kazoo by then. Big Grin I do keep up with the engravers guild from time to time, its something I wish I had got into years ago when I was younger.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one high quality engraver's price list to give you an idea....I'm not sure how current this is but it will serve as a guide......engraving

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Christ, sounds like some of you think that engravers are ripoff artists or con men. We are selling a service. If you don't need the service or care for it...fine. But, why demean the trade. Engraving doesn't compare with stock carving...I mean really.

BTW, I don't care how "hungry" I could get, I don't lower prices. How fair would that be to previous clients? Kind of cutting the legs out from under them.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, how many hours work would you have invested in those two panels?

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I've never been a fan of engraved game or gold inlay for that matter, but everytime I see those pics I LIKE!!!!!

Excellent work, just the right amount of everything.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work as always roger. Very tasteful.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the photos Roger, and you're right about pricing. I can remember having the "wolf at the door". Very bad business ethic to lower prices.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
- stu

Me too, Roger, I'd be very curious to see how much time it took you! My own scrimshanding and stockwork is very slow when compared to professionals and so my expenditures of time will average more than twice as much as some of theirs. That's why I suggested that he compare the speed of each artist with their costs, it would be easy to choose a low price per hour when in actuality the higher-priced person may work much much faster or do better work.

And yes I'm sorry to say that I've seen some engraving that looked fully as bad as some stock carving. AAMOF it was done by a member of FEGA and the photo was actually published in an engraving book! In nodding respect to the FEGA guild judging panel, I can only assume that the photo was a poor one...a VERY poor one...

I never intended to imply that any engravers were price-gouging. It's a fact, though, that a known name can charge all his/her work is worth while an up-&-comer must settle for whatever is available. That's true in any field, especially any art field. And in the present economy it's very possible to find someone who's hungry.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
srtrax,

My advice would be to find a few photos showing engraving that appeals to you. Send them to a few engravers and talk with them about what you want and your budget. You'll quickly find:
  • whether or not what you have in mind is even feasible given your budget
  • whether you really want evgraving at all considering the price
  • your confidence in and rapport with the engravers you've contacted
  • and (importantly) their schedules - if you want extensive engraving, the wait can be long.

Asking the question here will yield a bunch of conjecture and bullshit from bubbas who've never in their lives commissioned fine engraving.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Approximately 130 hrs into both animal panels including background and gold inlayed borders.

Scroll is about 10 hrs per side including design.

Forrest's advice seems sound.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Asking the question here will yield a bunch of conjecture and bullshit from bubbas who've never in their lives commissioned fine engraving.

Well, you hit that one square on the head, this wasnt my first question on AR... Wink

Scrollcutter, Thanks for the e-mail. Was able to blow pictures up and could see the shading very well, very nice work and very close to what I'm looking for. P.M. your way!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:

WOW!!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote