New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger in 300 SAUM or WSM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ruger M77 Mark II short action and a new take-off Rem 700 300 SAUM barrel coming. How much work will it take to get the SAUM or WSM case to feed in the Ruger? I know I'll have to open the bolt face and alter the extractor.What about the feed rails?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned that Ruger made an action special for the WSM's. One could buy a complete rifle in a WSM for $450!

You could get some 300 SAUM brass and make up some dummy rounds and try to put them in the magazine now and see if they feed.

Summers almost here. Why not just put that stuff aside and buy a new gun?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,..I bought the action for $150CDN, the barrel for less than a $100CDN,all I need is a stock. I do my own chambering etc.So it's just a way to put all the parts together so it's useable.Even if I pay a $100CDN for used stock and $125CDN for a reamer I'll only have $475CDN in it,including the reamer.I'd probably sell it when finished. I also have a Brno 602 action set up for the 223 case and another long 700 action coming.The 700 action will be either a 300 RUM or another 300 Win Mag,have both barrels.The Brno will get a new Rem 700 take-off 223 barrel installed.A friend who's very good at stock work will stock this one.I made my friend a nice 284 Win on a short 700 with a stretched magbox.It has a 24-3/8" Gaillard barrel in a Boyd's pepper laminate stock.Also barrelled another short 700 to 6mm for him and he used the same stock.A couple of very sharp looking rifles.My latest project is a short 700 reciever that I got with a long action bolt minus the handle.I shortened the bolt from the rear,installed a Sako extractor,fluted it and it's getting a new Dakota handle installed.It will then get a stainless 40X 223 barrel reamed to 22-250 and installed into a VS stock.We're just having fun putting rifles together from parts scrounged from all over the internet!We also have a couple 35 Whelens planned,barrels are on order.Both will be on 700's,friends is a LH action.So...buying new rifles is kinda boring.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rembo I don't think you have a Brno 602 in 223cal. The 602 is a large action that has been chambered in 300 Win,8x68,375 H&H and 458 win.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote