Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridges and Argentine floorplate's
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I have a few Argentine floorplates and are thinking about useing them for some custom guns [Big Grin]
I would like to know what cartridges that will fit and work properly in this box? My plans are to build a 7X64 and a 9,3X62 or 9,3X64.

I saw that Maurice Ottmar had built a lovely 9,3X64 on a ZG-47 action and used and Argentine floorplate. Systeme98 and Jbelk and other mauser looney's what is your advice?

Is there any other modifications that you would recommend ?

Don't be shy [Eek!]
/ JOHAN

<JBelk>
posted
JOHAN--

You'll have to cut away the front of the box and weld in an extension to make them long enough. It doesn't hurt to thin the rear plate by half either.

[ 03-15-2003, 19:13: Message edited by: JBelk ]

<JOHAN>
posted
JBelk

Is this only for the 9,3X64 or do you mean all of the calibers. The box seems to be a standard lenght mauser box?

A longer or more detailed explanation would be nice. Are the box wide enough for the 9,3X64?

/ JOHAN

<JBelk>
posted
JOHAN--

The boxes were made for the 7.65 Argentine round but will feed 7x57s just the way they are.

I'm not a "measure, make notes, alter, measure and make more notes" kinda guy. If you hand be the box and a handfull of ammo I'll make it feed like a Mauser should, but I have no idea what size it is in inches. It depends on what bullet and how deep they're seated and what the diameter of the rim is, and the amount of taper to the case and the location, diameter, and angle of the shoulder.....and shape of the bullet......whew! I got tired just thinking about all that work.

'09 Argy boxes are a little narrower than normal because they were made for straight-railed actions, but I've seen several 1909 boxes that were made for bowed-rail action and I suspect they were Orbendorf sporters with the military release button in them. I have one in my Whelen. I had to stretch it for lenght but it matched the FN's bowed rails well.

Be careful when stretching them.....it's easy to make the front corners stick out past the step-down on the tang which means you can't inlet it witbout gap-osis.

<JOHAN>
posted
JBelk

How much are you talking about regarding the extention? What shall I make the extention of?

I have found them not just as wide as other mauser boxes for standard cartridges.

How much is the difference between you obendorf floorplate and the FN action for the whelen?

Does any know if it's still possible to buy new magazine lid for the Ary? I know that PME and Talley made them before.

/ JOHAN

[ 03-16-2003, 05:42: Message edited by: JOHAN ]