Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I need the forum's opinions again. I am finishing up an 8x57 mauser that in appearance is very similar to this rifle but with open (peep) sights, 24 " barrel, no monte carlo and a slimmer profile. The fore end is also shorter at 9".

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=820140&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1#Post820390

Here is a pic of the prototype peep I made with the assistance of Mark Stratton's book. I made it so I could solder it on and retain the use of the charger guide. Besides it was good practice for making scope bases. Sorry for the lousey quality but it was night time.

The finished product looks much better complete with beveled edges, etc. And yes, it basically a copy of the XS sight but theirs required drilling & tapping and at least partial removal of the charger hump to fit it.

Anyway, my question is this. I originally intended to use a barrel band swivel base. Besides just building it for practice my intended use was to have a light weight open sighted truck gun. But also one that can be carried far afield once you actually get outta the truck. It currently weighs 6 1/2 lbs. Oh yeah, the question: Should I use the barrel band swivel or a fore end mounted base? I think I'm still leaning toward a barrel mounted swivel. What say you?

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a 24" barrel and a 9" forend I think it would look best with a barrel mounted swivel. I think the rule of thumb on forend length is 1" less than 1/2 the barrel length, so with a 9" forend something between the forend tip and end of barrel would fill the space.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with that forend you need barrel mounted sling, but consider not doing it banded, it will give it in my opinion a more svelt look if you go with just barrel mounted direct on the underside. i have seen a few ways this is done, some with the eye directly on the barrel, some with a rectangular base to the eyelet that is soldered onto the barrel, and then I saw one that Lee Helgeland did that was an oval that was contoured to the barrel and the eyelet on that. I have some pics at home if you want to see them. Just something to think about.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I am over thinking this. I started to second guess myself because I was worried about using the sling for shooting. However, since it is open sighted I suppose most of my shooting will be done off hand.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote