New
Find
Notify
Tools

book recommendation-actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to find a book with drawing of the different actions and a labeling of parts, like a diagram of the 1917 and m98 etc. Any recommendations?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Dago,

If you go to <www.brownells.com> they have books and materials covering a wide range of gun related topics.

Malm

<JBelk>
posted
"Bolt Action Rifles" and "Single Shot Rifles/Actions" by DeHaas has a bunch of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, I'll look for them. Wish I would have put it in with my other order. :-(

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best books IF you can find them are.

The Bolt Action, Vol 1&2, by Stuart Otteson.

They are out of print now, but there has been rumors that Wolfe is thinking of another run of them.

The book Bolt Action Rifles, by Frank de Haas is in its third edtion now and it is good also.

For the Mausers only Brownells carry the following.

Mauser Bolt Rifles, by Ludwig Olson
Mauser: Original Obendorf Sporting Rifles, by Speed, Schmid, and Herrmann.

There are a few others, some are out of print but this will get you started.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Exploded long gun drawings" has most popular rifles. The Frank DeHaas book have a lot of good info for reading, but some of its parts in the diagrams are totally black.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D. Red. 1, Front where the barrel screws in (of an action's receiver) : that's the ring. 2, the part where the bolt body slides under on the way to closing on a cartridge: that's the bridge. One of your posts mentions a screw hole in the top of the bridge . A 6x 48 plug screw can usually be wound into this threaded hole for the military flat sight detent spring. The 2 holes forward of the safety, would logically be on the Right side of the bridge (arch), also 6 x48. Identification while you await a fleet of books of the action parts, available with a simple internet search.

I simply searched for U.S.model 1917 rifle. Got the original Soldiers guide manual page. Trying again M.S.N. went into its normal stupid mode. I saved the damned code which I tried and raised it, but I will not chance trying to make the direct link from here. You will have to type it in yourself.

http://www.wwiitech.net/main/britain/weapons/pattern14/pic5+.jpg

I set the size for "fill window and printed it even though I sorta remember the parts names. Try it please. The bridge top military screw was a british thing but has been used to incorrectly set the spot for the 2 front (ring) holes for years for installing 1 piece bases. It was about a tad more than 3/8ths inch to rear of the stripper clip slot.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D.R.How about that! You will not have to type it.
the link actually works. Probably never will again for me.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I will look that over and will make sure i get the right screws. I kept calling the bridge the rear ring. I also called yesterday and had the local bookstore hold their only copy of the DeHaas book which I will pick up this evening.

You guys are great. and Systeme98, this is the reason I have not sent the list of 1917 parts I need to you yet, I am not sure what to call most of the things :-)

Thanks again everybody, what a goldmine this place is!

Red

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
DR,

Another resource is gunparts corporations huge catalog. A lot of reference material there too.
I think it is www.gunpartscorp.com

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote