Find
Notify
Tools

Dave Manson Barrel Crowning Tool
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,
I thought I'd show off the work this little kit can do. Normally, when cutting and crowning barrels, it's best to do it in a lathe. I've had a 12"x36" Atlas under drive that was really about that smallest you could effectively use for this kind of operation, and that thing takes up 30 square feet of floor space. So, if you just want to do something with hand tools, and for cheap, this kit is really a bargain. The finished product looks better than the factory crown.

I've pilots for both 30 and 22 cal. They are expanding, and each has a range that covers most dimensions you'd expect.
This particular gun is a Remington 700 in 308. It *HAD* a 24" Sporter barrel. Total time was probably less than breaking the barrel off the receiver and chucking up the barrel in the lathe, let alone dialing it in.

First, I literally clamped the muzzle end of the barrel in a vise, and supported the other end by blocking it up:

Then, break out the hack saw and elbow grease:

From here, I put it in my vertical barrel vise, muzzle side up. A bit of file work to level it off, just so the crowning tool didn't have as much to cut:

I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I prefer to rough cut it to 0 Degrees first:

Then, recess the crown by cutting in with the 11 Degree Tool:

Finish up with some slow passes to give it a better look:

Finished product cut to 17.5":

Excess:

Posts: 1315 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a little Ruger 77/22 Magnum with 6 inches cut off, leaving an 18" Barrel.

Posts: 1315 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks easy enough, good job!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously not a REAL gunsmith. Hands are too clean, not to mention the fingernails. Looks like a dish soap commercial.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've got one. It works like a charm.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Obviously not a REAL gunsmith. Hands are too clean, not to mention the fingernails. Looks like a dish soap commercial.

Really that's your comment? Crawl back under a rock will you.

Thanks for posting all the pictures, nice job, good step by step product review.!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My hands look like that after I get through running a walnut blank through the duplicator. AFTER I take off my gloves and mask. rotflmo

Very interesting. Years ago I had and OLD smith now long gone teach me to re-crown using some compound and a round headed screw. Had not seen that tool

Thanks

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you're having too much fun! Are you cutting the barrels just so you can use the tool?

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Man, that thing works slick! Geez, even I could use it successfully, I'll bet.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find longer barrels to be aesthetic ugly, more difficult to maneuver, and rarely worth it balistically. That 22mag as built ran out of powder to burn at about the halfway point.

Some guys want that muzzle and noise a few inches farther from their face, but that's not enough for me to keep them long.