Find
Notify
Tools

Fox Model B 16 ga Serial Number
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Have a Fox Model B 16 ga my wife got from her dad's estate. We were looking for the serial number to add it to our spreadsheet but couldn't find one. I think I looked at all the usual places.

Anyone know where they stamped it?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well Looking at other forums many say that for a good period after WWII they had no serial numbers until required in 1968. So for now I'll call int NA.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of pre 68 guns have no serial numbers.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of pre 68 guns have no serial numbers.

Yep I knew the law went into affect in 1968. I was just surprised the Fox didn't have one. It ends up being only the second firearm in the safe without one. Other being a S&W Model 1 third release (I think) 22BP short.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They weren't ser#'d but,,
It may have what's called a date code on the receiver. People usually call them a 'Stevens Date Code' but they're found on most any firearm made by Savage during the period '49 to '69/'70.
Savage owned (still ownes) the Fox and Stevens names so they are actually one in the same mfg'r.

Here's a list from Weisners Gun Parts. As it says the stamp is usually on the bottom of the action.
http://www.wisnersinc.com/addi...tevens_date_code.htm

I've seen them mostly right behind the hinge pin,,but they were put anywere from the sounds of it.
They may appear even on the ser#'d arms that Savage made like the '99 rifles.
I have a 99 here made in 54 according to the ser# (best I could conclude) and there is a corresponding correct date code stamped just forward of the lever boss.

But it is hit and miss wether the code will be there or not. Code stamping QC was not a high priority it seems!

If you do a search on 'Stevens Date Code' you'll find alot written about it. Many 'experts' will expound on what they mean and where to find the mark. Sort through it all and you can come up with some reasonable meanings.

Pre-GCA'68,,Shotguns & 22rf caliber long guns were not required to be serial #'d by their mfg'r. Some did,,some didn't.

After the law went into effect they were added to the list and from that point forward all firearms mfg'rd in the USA have to be #'d.
Centerfire long guns and all handguns were required since the Federal Firearms Act of 1938 (dispite what Wikipedia says)
Very strict guidelines as to the numbering sequence, size, depth of marking, placement ect.