Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A-Bolt 6,5x55SM - accuracy problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
I recently got a Browning A-Bolt chambered for the 6,5x55SM. I just have a few problems getting wanted accuracy. Have tried 2 factory loads and 2-3 handloads with a couple of different bullets. The rifle groups around 40-50mm (app. 2").
Not good enough for a rifle I plan on using for small game.
Should I just keep on trying? Haven`t tried to many loads yet. Different bullets, weights, powders etc etc might improve things? Do you think I can improve the accuracy?
I plan on doing other modifications. New stock, trigger job, new mounts etc. But I do not want to spend a lot of money on a "hopeless case"..

I have checked all the screws, and the action is bedded.
Input is very welcome.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem with my 6.5x55 swede. What type of powder are you using. The slower burning powders seem to work better for me. RL22 and H1000 for the heavier bullets. Groups are now down to 3/4 of an inch.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I have used Vihtavouri N160 and Norma 4 only. Some of the American powders is hard to get in Norway. But I think RL 22 and "my" powders has pretty equal burning rate.. What kin of bullets do you use?
In Scandinavia we normally use 140 grain or heavier bullets. American-made rifles might be constructed for lighter bullets.
I do not know the rifle twist on this Browning.. Anyone who knows?

Anders

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Anders, have you tried factory loaded Norma Oryx and Norma Diamondline 8.4g.?? If your rifle does not shoot well with these, then there something wrong with it. :-)

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Sounded like an easy check.. I`m might run some of these rounds through the barrel then..
Will also buy different bullets and powders and do a re-check of everything.
I`m just not used to rifles like this. All of the rifles I have owned have always grouped well with at least one load when I have tried 3-5 different.. This one might just be a little more tricky..
What else ca be done? Straighten the chamber? New barrel? But is it worth it? Then I might just buy a new one.. Smiler

Anders

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not know the std. factory twist on these rifles, but surely that info is available w/ enough asking. If not, take a cleaning rod, mark it in inches, note the rotation and distance when inserting in barrel(us tight patches or brush) and you can determine twist.
Probably a nine, but a twist closer to 8 would be better for the heavier bullets in this caliber. The A bolts are not known for poor accuracy and in fact are decent shooters out of the box so it may well be finding the right ammo/load. Good Luck and Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote