New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enlarging Win M70 Mag box?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys I have a semi custom win model 70 in 280 converted to a 280AI, and I would like to be able to seat my Berger 168 vld's to touch the lands. My mag box has a rear false wall that limits me to a COL of 3.380" and and if I remouve that false wal I gain an extra .200" of space. Now I know it is spot welded on there and I am sure it can be remouved but would the outcome be If i do this? Will my rounds feed properly? They do now.Will I have to do any other machining work to the the bolt stop? And would my mag follower need to be adjusted?
Thanks
Elmer

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have never removed the spacer for an 06 based case. Have done it on the magnums a number of times. You would also need to either alter or swap the ejector and bolt stop. I have always swapped the follower as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy to take that piece out of box, just drill holes at each weld. If you then want to cut it down to have that top piece back on your box cut the sides off and solder the plate back in. I have done quite a few like this and also just taken the spacer completely out. Gives you about 3/16 more room. You might have to cut length on bolt stop but that is very easy also. Take it out and file off the end.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elmerdeer,

You will have to shorten the bolt stop and the ejector to allow it to feed. Or you can buy the shorter bolt stop and ejector used for cartridges such as the 375 H&H etc.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote