Notify
Tools

Testing The Water
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
New Member, old lurker.

Thinking about posting some photos of a stock duplicator. And photos of some maple blanks I found yesterday at a garage sale.

Not sure if I will be able to withstand "Running the AR Gauntlet" or survive the broadside volley from maple haters.

So what say ye?

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please post a few pictures.
I never find stuff like that at the garage sells aroung here.

Hal

Posts: 164 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maple makes into some of the very strongest stocks for heavy recoilers, and can be treated in several ways to make the appearance almost indistinguishable from walnut. Hal Hartley was perhaps one of the most prolific maple users, and although I personally don't care for much of his styling, his 'suigied' maple stocks were then and still remain quite attractive and desirable.

Just don't leave it light-colored, please(grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WoodHunter,

Post away. As much as I like good walnut, I have always loved nicely figured maple, be it birdseye, fiddleback or curly. and I don't mind the light color. I wouldn't want it for all my stocks. If it helps I will break the maple ice with a nice birdseye maple stock.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:

Very nice- love a Krag, too. Any background on the rifle?

Early American gunsmiths treated maple with weak nitric acid, I assume to darken it.

Any of that done in the last hundred years?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It came from the estate of an acquaintence. He had an wonderful eclectic collection of interesting guns that I was priveledged to have spent a day examining and conversing with him about. He, like me, took rifle loonyism seriously. He saw it not as an affliction but a gift. jumping

It is birdseye from one end to the other. I do not know the maker on the stock. It is fairly well executed but has some minute flaws that spell possible amature stock maker. I like Krags and I like figured maple, which, I expect is why I ended up receiving the rifle. It has taken a mule deer doe and one of these days I hope to stumble onto a legal bull boose with it.

It loves Hornady 220 round noses and is very accurate with them. I honestly have never tried another bullet in it. That's about it for the back story that I know. I wish I could figure out the stock maker.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someday I hope to own a beautiful .25-06 my grandfather built on an 03-A3 action. He was on a hunting trip out west and stopped by the old Herters place. He dug through a bunch of "seconds" and found a beautiful maple blank that is birds-eye side to side, back to front.

I have no idea what the flaw was... Walnut would always be my first choice... but this stock is beautiful.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
A teaser: That is grain, not saw marks, the blank has been through the planer. 4 inches thick.

I have many more photos, some in flame/quilt/sausage.

Never been and never will be much of a maple fan, but that blank will make into a very beautiful stock I'm sure.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll play. That blank would make a fine cutting board Smiler

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys guess you folks do not want a new member to play in your sandbox.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't know where you got that idea. Keep the pictures coming. That is a beautiful blank and you are welcome in this sandbox any time.

Mart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr hartley loved maple

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don't know where you got that idea. Keep the pictures coming. That is a beautiful blank and you are welcome in this sandbox any time.

Mart

From Here: "Ok, I'll play. That blank would make a fine cutting board"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mart

I can't speak for the poster but I believe the presence of the smilie Smiler at the end of his sentence is an indication he was teasing you. I don't think anyone would truly consider that blank for a cutting board.

Mart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did the photo of the blank go?!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mart

My friend, ease up a bit, your amongst a good crowd- I wish that was the most shit I ever caught around here. Now show us the stock duplicator hilbily

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Relax! and by all means avoid the political forum. Big Grin. I was kidding.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
I thought this was the Political Forum?????

By request below is the duplicator. I will post more photos later.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I like it on the right rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
Relax! and by all means avoid the political forum. Big Grin. I was kidding.

-because if you don't, as was the case with myself, it will avoid you hilbily