THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Alaskan and G&H sidemount. New project ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need advice :
Have since long time in my vault a Lyman Alaskan 2,5 and a G&H sidemount for that scope(Springfield/Mauser/Winchester fitting).
Both in unused condition.

Is it worth starting a new rifle project around that ensemble ?
The rest of my battery is still scoped.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
Need advice :
Have since long time in my vault a Lyman Alaskan 2,5 and a G&H sidemount for that scope(Springfield/Mauser/Winchester fitting).
Both in unused condition.

Is it worth starting a new rifle project around that ensemble ?

Well, I love that setup on a heavy rifle, but it, as am I, rather outdated.
The rest of my battery is still scoped.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ultimate classic action for that particular setup would be a double-heat-treated 1903 Springfield. Do you care for such a rig, in perhaps 35 or 400 Whelen? The 400 Whelen has a bad rap for insufficient headspacing shoulder but Michael Patrov has shown that the original (Howe-developed) 400 Whelen was an improved case with plenty of shoulder. CH4D has dies and Michael has a reamer.

The intent of the G&H side mount was to allow the quick interchange of the scope with the iron sights; in the case of most classic 1903 customs, this also included a Lyman 48 peep whose staff was stored in the cavity under the rifle's trap-door buttplate when not in use. I personally like this setup and have built several rifles along these lines, AAMOF there are 2 1903s in the shop right now.

Other choice of course would be a nice Banner Mauser or similar action with some cool emblem on the front ring, again with the choice of iron sights in a hurry when wanted. G&H made plenty of Mausers too and this would be a classic setup for something in that line.

Whichever action you choose, that scope and mount setup is perfect for a retro custom made in the early-20th-century US classic style. But IMO it needs to have an interesting design on the front ring, to take advantage of the ring's visibility. In the case of the Springfield this would be the arsenal logo and serial number and in the Mauser it would be the maker's logo and possibly year of manufacture or crest. A nice animal head engraving would be good too.

The little Lyman isn't quite as bright as a modern scope but it has plenty of eye relief and strength to resist the heaviest recoil. IMO it's altogether a splendid setup worthy of use on a fine retro custom.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I had exactly that mount and scope on my pre-'64 Model 70 .375 H&H which I bought in Alaska. It had enough use that it was on its third bobbed 20" barrel when I sold it. Neither the mount or scope ever blinked.

I can't disagree that it would be nice on a Springfield '03, but to me it is just marvelous on a Model '70 H&H, particularly the .375 chambering.

I wouldn't start a project for one, I'd just find a Model 70 I really liked...maybe even a short Maggie 1/4-project, like putting one on a nice .338 Winchester.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JDS has saud it. If you do this, be sure to follow the G&H system of machining and polishing over the mount base screwheads and pins - there are three screws and two pins. The receiver and base are polished and blued together. For my part, I prefer this rig to any top mount on a dangerous game or woods rifle because it leaves the top of the receiver completely clear for a good view of open sights or through the peepsight.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Heavenknows,

are you interesed in selling the stuff?

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I am interested R 577 !! Wink

posted Hide Post
Hello Heavenknows,

PM send Wink

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert

Re crossed your posting. Look into your mailbox.