New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action for 308 win
 Login/Join

<PCH>
posted
I'm thinking of putting together a .308 Win based on some kind of mauser type action. The cheapest action for me to get here in Sweden would be a FN Mauser from a 8X57 or 30-06. Another more expensive alternative would be to get a medium length BRNO 600. What is best??

Would the the shorter 308 cartridge have feeding problems or anything else in a standard length mauser action.

Any other ideas or opinions??

[This message has been edited by PCH (edited 10-24-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience the 308 will function well in the 98 mauser and this would be my choice. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
The .308 will feed fine from standard length Mauser actions. Some modification of the receiver magazine rails may be needed and many recommend a spacer block at the rear of the magazine to compensate for the shorter lenght of the .308. You might also consider the Yugoslavian M-48. I understand they are intermediate actions, but fewere aftermarket stocks are available.

<PCH>
posted
This may be a stupid idea, but would it be possible without much trouble to build a 308 on a standard Mauser and make it feed well and change the magazine etc. And then if I suddenly feel I desperately need another 100 fps change it to a 30-06, recut chamber and change the magazine back etc. Would I lose anything but my money?? Yes, I know I should get a 30-06 in the first place, but what if??

<landtrain>
posted
Why not go one better? Buy the .308 chamber insert that fits into your 30.06. Have your smith do it or your can stick on in anytime you want. Use a broken shell extractor to remove it. Look thru Shotgun news or other gun mag. The run about $20.00 Now you have a 30-06 AND a .308 in one gun. Down side. The insert comes out every now and then so you have to keep an eye on your ejected brass. You can use red locktight but then just buy a .308.

Interesting question. How many have used this converter? and whats your best story?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the 30/06 chamber is smaller in diameter than the 308 at the shoulder I don't see how this would be possible. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote