New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98/376 Steyr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I,ve been considering building a 375-06 for some time and now I'm having second thoughts. Would a 376 Steyr be better? Will it work better on a mauser action? Has anyone out there built a Steyr on a mauser? Will the voices in my head finally let me make a decision? [Confused]

Thanks
Mike

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get in touch with Jeffeosso. He put one together about a year ago.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,
Let's get together and you can shoot mine.
I put mine on a mexican 98, which is a tad shorter than a real 98. I think it would be a perfect fit.

the ONLY trouble with one is getting brass, as it seems to be a limited production at hornady.
Midway has em, right now, for ~23 bucks a box. I would order at least 2, if not 4.
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/732934

with a 24" barrel, i get pretty dang good ballistics.

But... there's always a but, right? I believe the 338-06 to be closer to being an accepted round.

You can BET you'll be the only one at the range with the steyr. I put mine together to looks great, and it shoots great... If pressed into, It would be my "only" gun for anything from a cariboo hunt to pigs to elk to africa... with the right bullet it matches FACTORY (just to avoid any arguements) 375 HH classic loads, with loads right out of the hornady reloading manual. I wouldn't CHOOSE it for cape buffalo.. but, then again, I would choose a 470 or a 500 something for those critters.

lots of fun, nice looking bullet, great handling gun, i won't say light kicking, but it's pleasant. . I really enjoy mine.

i would really suggest a www.gunpartscorp.com hinged bottem metal to complement your action. 69 bucks

jeffe

[ 09-09-2003, 05:36: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso;
I've got a bottom metal from a 98-09 Argentine, and will probably use that, and I've also have a couple of 03 Turks that I though might really work well with this cartridge. Not as pretty as the Mexican Mausers I've seen, but hey, one in the hand. And a .458 works fairly well on a 38 Turk.

Thanks for the info, and I would love to shoot yours sometime. Of course, I've still got the decision to make. Don't ya hate trying to decide what the next gun will be?
Thanks Again
Mike

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're not averse to making your own 'cat, I've been dying for someone to build the world a 375-9.3 Brenneke, which is simply a longer Steyr.
Otherwise, check out the 375 Howell Number 2.
It's basically a 375-8x68, and will easily beat H&H handloads. It is bigger than the 375 C-T by about 4 grains water, but without the belt, it is not as fat outside. The C-T can match H&H handloads, so I hear. Howell's round is no longer than the 30-06, so you'll have no prob getting it into the Mauser.
I'd save the Steyr for actions that won't take anything longer, like Boss Bear's.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Let's split the diff, and go with a vz24 and the 1909 bottom... great looking gun, and a good round

Nice thing about the turks (and other small ring barrels) is that one can use rem take off barrels as "blanks"... a 375 pushfeed rem barrel can turn into a nice 376 steyr crf... cheap cheap. I am thinking about turning a mexican into either a 338xwsm or a 338 steyr.... the wsm would prob be easier in the long run, as I can just use a 338 expander to get there, and a neck size bushing in some redding dies for the brass.

email me, and we'll talk about gettign together and you can try mine..

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be

There are a few of what you are asking about. I have one that uses the basic 9.3X64 case which is "Ackley" improved, meaning little case taper and 40 degree shoulder, in 375 caliber. It is a very efficient round and all I use for dies are a set of 375 improved ones that were shortened. The sizer die works very well as a neck sizer with this arangement. This round also works very well in a standard length action, and I wish Hornady would have used the full length 9.3X64 case when they came up with the 376. If I have one fault with the 375X64 it is the trouble finding cases for it. Huntington used to carry RWS cases but have apparently ceased doing it. I only have about 35 left so still would like to obtain a few more. I have given thought to rebarreling to 376 but would like to see more cases for it at a more reasonable price also.

Remember if you do go with any case which has the 9.3 as a parent you are going to wind up with an action that is in-between a standard and a magnum round. This limits your choices somewhat to changing calibers without more alterations if you tire of a round from a 9.3X64 case.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think about the *excellent* 9,5x66 SEvH, a recent German factory cartridge from Gehmann.
PS: For jingoists, it's also called .375 W-R.

Carcano

[ 09-09-2003, 22:30: Message edited by: carcano91 ]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the info.
Something I should have said before, I have an awesome 375 H&H that is a real joy to shoot and reload for. I'm looking for something that I can load back a little but still shoot a great heavy bullet. I have a 338-06 and (almost) a 35 Whelen. A 375 in a comparable cartridge just seemed the next logical choice. Looking for a great "pig" gun. (I "really" need another one.)
Again, thanks for all the advice, and, for gods sake, keep shooting.
Thanks;
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idared:
Bwana-be, I have one that uses the basic 9.3X64 case which is "Ackley" improved, in 375 caliber. It is a very efficient round and all I use for dies are a set of 375 improved ones that were shortened. The sizer die works very well as a neck sizer with this arangement. This round also works very well in a standard length action, and I wish Hornady would have used the full length 9.3X64 case when they came up with the 376.
Remember if you do go with any case which has the 9.3 as a parent you are going to wind up with an action that is in-between a standard and a magnum round.

Well, alright!
This sounds like an excellent Mauser number.
The only reason cases aren't more available is because not enough people understand they need them! [Big Grin]
Please tell us what kind of performance you get with that one. (Another thread?)
The Whelen gets, what? 2350 fps with a 270gr?
And the 375-300 WM gets maybe 2800?
So, maybe you can get 2650?
If so, it gets an "A" in my book.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be

You have a private message.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a .375 WSM on a Mauser 98 and used a Shilen barrel.....great shooting rifle with most 100 yard groups averaging around 3/4". Even with IMR 4350, I'm getting over 2,500 fps with a 24" barrel. If the wildcat route isn't an option though, I'd recommend the .376 Steyr.

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote