Notify
Tools

Bedding a Savage 340?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted
hello fella's,

I recently purchased a 340 Savage in 222 Remington. I'm putting it through some paces but haven't yet really settled down to shoot for accuracy.

I'm wondering though, if I find that it needs bedding, how do I go about it?

I'm leaning toward bedding from the lug to the end of the forearm since it has the barrel strap that attaches to the forearm. What's the consensus on these old workhorses?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May not be the answer you're looking for but you really ought to shoot it first. Maybe even with a couple different loads but I doubt such will be necessary. I bought a pair of M340 - .222's a couple years back. I kept one and sold the other to a friend. Both are tack drivers as-is. I reload for mine but the other uses nothing but factory ammo. I'd have prefered a (lighter) Rem. M788 but asside from that I have no complaints about the old girl. Shoot and IF there are problems then think about tinkering with it but my guess is you'll be happy just the way things are.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks oupa,

How did you adjust the screw tightness? Did you leave the screw on the barrel strap snug but not tight? or cinch it down?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bedded one is 22 hornet worked just fine couldn't tell you if it shot better as I bedded it before I shot it.

Shoot it if it shoots good leave it I bed most of my rifles.

I haven't found a rifle that bedding hurt most of the time it helps or does nothing except giving you a better stock to action fit.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Littlecanoe,
Frankly I've done nothing to either of these rifles but mount scopes. Uncharicteristicly for me, have not turned a single other screw. The caliber has such light recoil this main reason for glass beding is a non-issue. The other main reason (wood to metal fit) I can't specificly speak to since as stated, I haven't even seen - these are the only M340's I've ever dealt with. My guess however is that they are from a period when such problems weren't as prevelant as today. The fore end band is typically a beeding adjustment devise. Shoot it, then thinker with fore end tension if (cautiously) as a first step to finetune. Hope this helps! Good luck and enjoy the rifle, I plan to take mine turkey hunting this week!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 340E 222 that i have bedded, i did just in front of the recoil lug for around 1"(from memory) and also either side of the barrel band for around 3/4" each side. Made a huge difference and shoots a lot better then originally.

Has anyone had problems getting their 340 to feed from the mag? Mine has decided it will not pick up a round at all, has been suggested the mag spring may have gone soft.

Paz

458AR & 500AR owner (yes it is done dancing )
12GFH in the pipeline(but not a real one, just a "mini one"!!
The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Paz,

Thanks for the bedding info.

Here is a link to a fellow who makes parts for these rifles. Not sure about shipping to Australia but here's the web addy.

Wisner's
Looks like the make mag's also.