THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting aftermarket Mauser bottom metal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been looking pretty hard at buying one of the Remington 798 mausers in .458 win mag from CDNN. What is involved in fitting an aftermarket mauser bottom metal piece such as a Blackburn or Weibe so I can get an additional round in there?

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious...how many does it hold down now? If only three.. We configure our standard depth to hold four down.

I kind of suspect the rails would need to be widened and a new follower purchased to realize your goal.

We do offer this service, but you could get into some spendy...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I have a Browning Safari Grade (1965 vintage) on an FN Mauser action. The gun holds three down and I was wondering if your bottom metal will fit this rifle and extend the capacity to 4 down. I am really interested in knowing if your bottom metal will be flush with the current factory stock?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...our box will be wider..the verical dimension is a big question mark...pretty easy to make a stock to fit the metal...little harder the other way aound.

I'd be happy to send you a unit to check it out...or you could send us your stock only for an honest evaluation.

Your rifle is a "keeper" I wouldn't do anything harm the value, but I don't think the existing bottom metal can ever be modified to come up with an extra round

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote