Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking Input On New Custom Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Getting ready to start on another custom rifle project to be built in the traditional British rifle style. Looking at getting input on the receiver on which to base the custom. Caliber would either be .404 Jeffery or .318 Westley Richards.

Question:
Which action would you chose, and why, for a new custom rifle in either .404 Jeffery or .318 Westley Richards? Bottom metal would be replaced with new.

Choices:
1909 Argentine
1935 Chilean
1935 Brazilian
Mauser Standard Modell

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, I'd choose a Standard Modell Wink. Square bridge the rear. Leave banner creast on the front ring alone. 404 Jeffery.

If you deceide to go with the 404 Jeffery, are you going use a scope?, iron sights?? Both??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Max said. I made a similar one for a friend's son, made a special front scope mount placed in front of the ring, to leave the Banner visible.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
What Max said, and have Duane build it in a style similar to the .416 Rigby that Duane just finished for Forrest.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the above.

http://www.granitemountainarms.com/index.html

Leave the antique stuff for the museums and the neo-nazi skinhead booth at the gunshows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boltman:
None of the above.

http://www.granitemountainarms.com/index.html

Leave the antique stuff for the museums and the neo-nazi skinhead booth at the gunshows.

As long as we're expressing opinions here, you can leave that ugly way-too-high-IMO GM bolt handle in the trash can!

To each his own, sorry, the guy didn't give GM as an option and I didn't like the neo-Nazi remark. And if 'antiques' are really so b-a-a-d, how come GM tries so hard to make their action look like one of the early 'antique' square bridges?

Answer: Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery.

But why settle for an imitation when you can have the real thing, made at Oberndorf?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
35 Chilean, 35 Brazilian & Standard Modell are identical. I'd go with a Chilean or Brazilian, both have the Oberndorf stampings on the side. I'd retain the banner on the bridge and remove the military crest on the ring, then you have what looks like a commercial Oberndorf. These 2 actions (or a 33-34 post office rifle) are the only military Mausers I would consider for such an expensive project although others would suffice.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Getting ready to start on another custom rifle project to be built in the traditional British rifle style. Looking at getting input on the receiver on which to base the custom. Caliber would either be .404 Jeffery or .318 Westley Richards.
When you say "Mauser Standard Modell" do you mean a German military action or a commercial mauser action. If you mean a standard German military action then I vote for the 1909 Argentine action, they are some of the best. Also the floor plate/ trigger guard is better than the German military actions.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "Standard Modell" was a mid '30s production rifle for use by non-military organizations, such as the post office, railroad, police, etc. It is marked "Standard Modell" on the left rail, in place of the usual Oberndorf moniker.

These are generally regarded to be in better condition than those issued to the military, although many were recycled for military use during the last years of the war. I have seen some RC guns that were originally Standard Modells.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goshoot:
When you say "Mauser Standard Modell" do you mean a German military action or a commercial mauser action. If you mean a standard German military action then I vote for the 1909 Argentine action, they are some of the best. Also the floor plate/ trigger guard is better than the German military actions.

The commercial Mauser action made between the wars, and marked as KurtC notes, with "Standard Modell" on the left side and with the Mauser banner on the receiver ring.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by goshoot:

The commercial Mauser action made between the wars, and marked as KurtC notes, with "Standard Modell" on the left side and with the Mauser banner on the receiver ring.

If that "Standard Modell" is marked KurtC, could it be marked "Kurtz"?? If that be the case, I think it may be a short action or Kurz meaning short in German, Correct?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sent you a PM Jim Kobe

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
If that "Standard Modell" is marked KurtC, could it be marked "Kurtz"?? If that be the case, I think it may be a short action or Kurz meaning short in German, Correct?

Sorry for the confusion, I was replying the post by KurtC. The receiver is a regular length Mauser action, marked "Standard Modell" on the left side with the BUG stamps and the Mauser banner on the receiver ring.

Mike

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I like everything about the Standard Modell action except the markings on the left rail. I'm with FLA3006; and would prefer to use an Oberndorf marked Mauser.

Supposedly, there were some commercial rifles in 404J built on Standard Modell actions. They are among the rarest of the rare Mauser variants. Perhaps if I had seen one in this configuration, I'd lusting to build a 404 on an SM action but that's just not the case.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

I have a 1934 Standard Modell that has the mauser banner on the front ring and Mauser-Werke A-G.Oberndorf a.N. on the side rail. Also has the B U G N proofs on the front ring.
Another variation that closely resembles a commercial action.
Bob

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bob,
That sounds like am Oberndorf commercial Mauser. What makes it a Standard Modell?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

In Laws book on the K98k he stated that in 1933 Mauser Werke introduced improvements to the "SM", which included a turned down bolt, recessed stock under the bolt and new sling. The Mauser Banner logo was stamped on the receiver ring over the yr of mfg and the makers legend M-W was stamped on the side rail. There is a lot more but it deals with the German Army and the nitty gritty of who this model was issued to.
Bob

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Now I want one of those. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

There is a excellent photo essay at the milsurp.com forum. Its at the Mauser section under "Mauser 1934 Banner". Quite a few photos detailing this model.
Bob

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Just when I think I might actually have a chance to catch up with you... I know I am hopelessly behind Forrest!

I voted 1909 Argentine and would build it in .404 Jeff! Might take a bit of work to get her feeding but if Duane can do it to a .500 Jeff a .404 is a piece of cake!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

This is most interesting, as I have a 1934 banner Mauser. Jeffeosso was hinting at the fact that it could be an internal distribution or even a postal. It is the core of my newest project big bore 10.75x68. Do serial numbers help in identifying to whom these rifles were issued?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

there is as serial # study over at Gunboards.com under the K98 Mauser title with a lot of info as far as where the serial #'s would put your rifle as to who it was issued to.

also over at milsurps.com, the resident expert is Badger who runs the forum and is quite knowledgable on the Std Modell/ Banner.
I'm just like you, a novice looking for more info on what I have. A fine model that seems it was a commercial type issued to the military.
Bob

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Bob & Andy, what you have are "post office" Mausers, see page 183 of Ludwig Olson's book.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Here's a mauser 318WR all ready to go.

318 Westley Richards

BTW here was a 404J marked Walter Locke.

404 Jeffery Walter Locke

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW a 26 inch barrel on the 404 ! I was planning on 20-23 for my 10.75 project.

Andy

ps Thanks(fla3006)for the info above as to what type of issue rifle I have.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
An update. The rifle will be a .318 Westley Richards built on a Model 1935 Brazilian Oberndorf action. The front sight will be the traditional Westley Richards type front sight, quarter rib with claw mounts. We are going to try to get the rifle as close to the following as possible (without the British-style mounts):

Will be sweeeet.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun. I think this rifle in the photo has started a number rifles to be commissioned. And it is so very attractive.

What do you see the barrel length being 25" or 26"?

Many Thanks

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HBH:
I think this rifle in the photo has started a number rifles to be commissioned.

HBH

I agree. Who made this rifle?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry if I'm about to hijack:

I voted brazilian because I had one once and loved the crest. I really wish I didn't let go of it.

I have two questions:

1. is there a place to see all the mauser crests, like a website with pics?

2. when you send one off to be hardened do you automatically loose the crest?

I had a gorgeous argentine that my friend did me the favor of surface grinding and drilling and tapping. I had planned to make an open sighted rifle to show off that crest, but figure since I planned to heat treat it anyways it would have been lost. was I right? (no matter, there are more, and I'd prefer the brazilian over the argie for crests).

Isn't the model above the Model A mauser? or is it Type A? that definitely is one I've wanted to do for a long time, the only one that I might consider doing first is the B pattern, like this one

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:

2. when you send one off to be hardened do you automatically loose the crest?

I had a gorgeous argentine that my friend did me the favor of surface grinding and drilling and tapping. I had planned to make an open sighted rifle to show off that crest, but figure since I planned to heat treat it anyways it would have been lost. was I right? (no matter, there are more, and I'd prefer the brazilian over the argie for crests)

No, the crest is lost when the action is surface ground. Heat treating won't affect the markings.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rifle will be a .318 Westley Richards built on a Model 1935 Brazilian Oberndorf action.

So you took my advice again huh?

quote:
I voted 1909 Argentine and would build it in .404 Jeff!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It's like my wife, she likes to get my input so that she knows what not to do.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
so if you didn't surface grind it you could have an action heat treated and the crest would be left intact? damnit!

anybody got a bunch of pics of the different crests? anybody ever got a kick ass tattoo, a whole sleeve of mauser banners in black and grey?

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
anybody ever got a kick ass tattoo, a whole sleeve of mauser banners in black and grey?

Lover's of the Mauser possess a degree of refinement that does not allow such sacrilege.

Tattoos of other trademarks seem to fit the wearer. "Show us your Buckmark" Ahh, such class.....

(sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I'm only kidding.)

Ok, ok I'm not kidding.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote