Notify
Tools

Need Throat Reamed (lengthened) In Houston
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted
Gents

I have a Boddington Kudu (300 H&H) that has a short throat.

I cannot even seat bullets to SAAMI max of 3.6", let alone seat them out the way I like to in a No 1.

I want this rifle optimized for heavy bullets, and currently, the 220gr Partition hits the lands at 3.57" OAL.

I would like to be able to seat this bullet to 3.75 OAL, which will put the base of the bullet only 0.1" below the neck.

Any opinions on who should I take the rifle to for a .2" ream?

I have no experience with gunsmithing here, except for having 2" cut off a .375 about 12 years ago at Carter's Country on I-10. That turned out fine.

Thanks!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it need to be done in Houston?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Does it need to be done in Houston?

Hi Jim

I live in Houston and having it done here would certainly simplify things, not to mention reduce ancillary costs.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Buy a throater (reamer) and do it yourself.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Bobby Pitchford in Waller County, off Kickapoo Road (NW of Houston off 290). Pitchford Custom Gun Works. He used to be with Briley. http://www.pcgguns.com/

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^^^^

I mostly have my work done out of town, but that is good to know too .

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Dave Manson at 810 953 0732. He owns Manson Precision Reamers and can tell you what to do and how to do it.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, a throater only costs 40 bucks and you will pay more than that to get it done at a gunsmith. And you can sell it later to some guy here on AR for 25 and you have done the job for 15 bucks. Can't beat that!

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarbe:
Gents

I want this rifle optimized for heavy bullets, and currently, the 220gr Partition hits the lands at 3.57" OAL.

I would like to be able to seat this bullet to 3.75 OAL, which will put the base of the bullet only 0.1" below the neck.

Any opinions on who should I take the rifle to for a .2" ream?

I have no experience with gunsmithing here, except for having 2" cut off a .375 about 12 years ago at Carter's Country on I-10. That turned out fine.

Thanks!

Tim

No matter who lengthens the throat in your rifle, I suggest you allow more clearance from the rifling than .001" if it is to be used for hunting at all.

All commercial bullet-makers wear out the form dies for their bullets fairly frequently. And the replacement die is almost never exactly the same in the ogive area. What that means is variation in bullet ogive length,& diameter, which can be more than .001" for the finished bullet.

Not too important if shooting at the range or in plinking. But when hunting, it can leave you with a bullet stuck in the barrel throat, powder all through your action, and an empty primed case in your hand, if you try to extract a loaded round without firing it.

May never happen, but when you have a nice greater kudu or bull elk out there in front of you, it can be pretty darned disappointing...especially on the last day of a hunt.

So, for hunting rifles, I always leave at least .003" clearance from the rifling. In your case that would just mean throating it to a depth .002" more than the .001" you had planned...and it might even shoot better at that distance from the rifling too!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I can recommend Briley Manufacturing in Houston. Just look them up on the net. They will do you a good job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37786 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote