Find
Notify
Tools

Roger Kehr's 505 Gibbs (Better Photos!)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted
Courtesy of Chic since he borrowed the webspace that will allow us to see these photos in a higher resolution.

505 Rightside
505 Leftside
505 Forend Checkering
505 Cheekpiece
505 Buttstockbottom
505 Bottom
505 Top Action
505 RH Action
505 Quarter Rib
505 Grip Checkering
505 Bottom Metal.

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you and Chic. The photos are better.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Mike, I will "rent" Roger the space, lol.

To tell a story about the rifle and the builder, I have to go back to the NRA convention in Seattle. I think it was 96 or so. Mark Stratton had assembled a bunch of us to do the show as a group. NRA discourages that so he formed a group WSAFA (Washington State Association of Firearms Artisans) that comprised of Roger, Mark, myself, Cliff Labounty, Ray Price, Darrel Nelson and Maurice Ottmar. Maurice had recently had his stroke and did not make it to the show.

Ray had recently finished the stock on this rifle and he had it on his display table along with a number of his wonderful rifles. We had three booths and I wish I had some photos to post but we did have a great display. Ray's 505 got more play from folks coming by than all of the others combined. Everyone had to pick it up and fondle it. We never figured out if it was just the big bore or what but someone always had it in their hands.

A couple of years later, I wanted to photograph it and Ray got it for me before he left for Arizona for the winter. The following summer I mentioned that it was in my gun safe and he had completely forgotten about it. I on the other hand had spent a lot of time with it in my lap in an easy chair daydreaming of everything from Grizzlies to Elephants falling in it's path.

Ray passed away from Cancer a little over a year ago and he told me that Roger now had the 505. I knew it was in good hands and would get the final details it needed. Ray is one of those people who crosses your path once in a lifetime and changes it forever. He taught me to build rifle stocks and suffered through my endless questions and problems. He was truly one of those once in a lifetime friends who make a real difference and I am sure that Roger shares that view of him.

Another friend of Rays has 3 or 4 of his rifles and I will photopraph them and post them for your viewing. His work was little known outside of this area but it was as good as it comes.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
The workmanship is outstanding of course.

In terms of art the rifle reminds me of my custom 375 and I should have ordered a dark forend tip. My forend came out too thin looking also to my eye.

I have seen and handled the 505's made in England by Gibbs at Crutchingtons shop. Their workmanship is not as good on the checkering as far as I can tell from those pics but the proportions are better.

I would be proud to own any of the rifles mentioned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That was nice narrative, Chic! Full of memories and a bit of the pain associated with thinking about lost comrades.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Chic
I was one the guys always drooling on the rifle at the NRA show. Ray was constantly chiding me for driving any potential customers away.

After the show Ray was pestering me to take the rifle project over as he thought (me too) that it would make a great canvas to display my engraving.

When Ray found out he had leukimia he called to ask if I would assemble an '86 Winchester he had just received from the color case guy. Of course, I said I would. When I got the package there was the 505 along side the 86.

I called him up, naturally, and asked what he wanted me to do with the 505. His reply was "Finish her up, engrave it, and put it in your safe. She's yours to keep.

I would agree with Chic. Ray was a once in a lifetime friend. He is missed.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger

I can only imagine the sentimental attachment that you have with this rifle.

As I have previously stated it is a very beautiful rifle, so please don't take this the wrong way. There is one correction that I would make. That is, the guard screws need to be indexed.

If it shows up I have attached a photo of what I would image on the floor plate of this rifle.

Keep the memories alive and not only shoot it but take it hunting.
[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=53769&c=557&z=1"]  - [/url]
James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is beautiful but I have one question and forgive me if it is a bit odd or dumb. Where or what is the front sight to be used with the folding leaf rear sight?

Just curious.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Congratulations both to the makers and to the owner!

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
James

I don't have the guard screws tight yet. I don't cinch them down until I am done working on the rifle. But, they will be indexed on completion. The photo you posted is a pretty good piece of work. I hope mine turns out as well.

30 Cal Mag Fan
There is another post in the gunsmithing forum "Photos of my 505 Gibbs" that discusses the metal and woodwork.

As for the front sight. It is currently in Jim Wisner's milling machine.

posted Hide Post
Mr Kehr

That certainly is a beautiful rifle, I hope you will post pics when the engraving is finished.

The inletting on the butt must be for a sling. Will the rifle have a barrel band?

Roger R

Posts: 1 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 02 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, that's like the old-world craftsmanship I use to see in the old days. I really like the straight grain stock and the checkering on it. Anyway it's NICE!
[Cool] [Cool] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Roger R

I intend to post photos when the engraving is completed.

The rifle will have a barrel band front sight and swivel.