New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifle Barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Montana Rifles M1999 actions have pretty much gotten rave reviews around here and coupled with the introductory prices it looks as though quite a few of us will be shooting M1999's in the coming months.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience using their barrels and how they compare with the Lothars, Pac-Nors, Shilens , etc.

It would greatly simplify things to get my actions barreled by them if their barrels are up to snuff.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I would also like to hear some input on this. I have two actions in the works and have been contemplating letting them barrel both of them.

<Rusty>
posted
I have order one of the PH actions. I understand they make an aoutstanding barrel. I went with a Lothar barrel for my 404 Jeffery project. I would have gone with the Montana barrel, except for the fact that theirs was a .4235-.424. I just opted for the .423 Lothar super magnum sporter contour.

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think MRC will thread and chamber your barrel for you for about $115 if you ship it to them. That is what I plant to do, anyway. Why not get exactly what you want in your barrel and then have MRC install it right there where they have the action and all the necessary tools and equipment to do the job in-house? They might even testfire it for you. Just a thought...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually MRC will
"Chamber, thread & fit barrel to action
Starting At $150.00"

Perhaps it's cheaper if it's their own action.

Before I ordered I asked Dan about having a #2 Contour, 24" Stainless barrel matched to my action and his reply was

"The cost for the installation + the barrel would be $321.00. Bead blasting is thrown in for nothing."

I'm going to have them do it, I was just curious as to the barrels themselves.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have, so far, used four of their barrels. All have been just fine. The owner of the last one I installed dropped by today and showed me a 5 shot group fired from his 221 Fireball at 100 yards. This group was 1 inch above dead center and measured .316". I turned the barrel to what would be considered a heavy sporter contour (about a #5)and lapped it after turning. Seems good. I consider these barrels to be a good value. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote