Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale Cocking Piece Sight (?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
@eBay:

"Fits on end of cocking piece on bolt action rifle. 1/4" hole with 2 set screws."

$172.49/10 bids

-first I've heard of, any history?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll be lucky to get it for less than $250, IMO it's a far better sight than the Lyman cocking piece one. Usually seen on a few of the finer UK custom rifles of the era between WW1 and WW2. If I wuz seeking a cocking piece sight then this is one of the ones I'd be specifically looking for (along with H&H, Rigby, etc).
HTH, regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD, to what/how did it mount- that "quarter inch" part in the description is throwing me.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These sights usually mounted to an adapter base made to fit the cocking piece of a particular rifle model. But frequently they mounted to a custom bench-fabbed base when the desired sight was not 'in stock'.

The sight's base or adaptor is normally made to attach to the rear of the rifle's cocking piece via 1 or 2 screws (UK) or some sort of solder (Euro) or a horizontal dovetail (Lyman). Attachment methods vary widely in some cases. All, repeat all of these sights will add weight and slow lock time albeit not enough to matter in a hunting rifle. Here's a pic of a Lyman.

I'm not very familiar with the P-H sights. The 'quarter-inch' part may be custom-made or it may be factory work, but in either case the sight is valuable and can be made to fit almost any bolt rifle. If the existing base won't work then just fab a new one that WILL work (grin).

This type sight was used on high-quality bolt rifles of the '20s and '30s that were made with other sighting methods installed. The folding nature of the sight means that it was an auxiliary, meant to be unfolded whenever the other sighting method(s) would be unsuitable. Many of these old rifles are iron-sight-only with a wide-angle vee express barrel sight on a rib, but some were designed with a removable/replacable scope and the owner simply preferred a peep when using irons.

A way-cool sight, wish it wuz mine...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Could it be that the 1/4 inch hole is to allow it to be drilled out to a sweated fit or soldered onto the cocking piece of any bolt. It may never have been fitted.

Two methods of instalation. Superg sights. The second pic is of the 333 Jeffery and seems to have tyhe same base set-up.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well somebody got it for $172.49. I hope they put it to good use (wasn't me)!

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote