New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, I have been doing a little research on a new rifle project. But book smart and actual experiance are two differant things.I would like to have a gunsmith build a 340 weatherby. I have thought about useing a CZ 550 action{00025part#} , I would like to know what you all think of this, and any help on which barrel company I should go with. I have been thinking about a useing a octogen barrel, chrome moly or stainless ?. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to order the componets soon. Thank you, Max

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
As far as barrels go I don't think their are many noticable differences between custom manufacturers other than price, manufacturing process, and delivery time. Sure some people have a preference for brand just like any other product but for hunting purposes I think you will be more than happy with almost any of them. I have 2 Hart's, one Krieger, and a Shilen on the way...all stainless. The Krieger took almost 5 months to get in my hands and I questioned whether it adds any measurable benefit over another manufacturer but it cleans up pretty quick even with Barnes TSX's.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a CZ action today. And I am going to check on the barrel maker's you suggested. I will check out the company's you wrote about. Ever heard of Douglas barrel's? Would it be a good idea to buy one "almost ready" to install on my action?{chambered etc.} I see some company's offer this.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:
.I would like to have a gunsmith build a 340 weatherby. Max

Max. It may be out of character to say this , but a .240 Weatherby is about as necessary as tits on a bore hog. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL ,Oh that's alright your character doesan't offend me....I am not politicly correct either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bartsche,

it says 340 Wby I believe.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The waitress takes the other penny!!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
bartsche,

it says 340 Wby I believe.Rich

Well now! Would you believe I screwed up? mona

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote