Find
Notify
Tools

Timney Trigger for Rugger 77RSM Mark II .375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Andrew M.
posted
Hey guys! I new to these forums and have seen a lot of good advice here. So I thought I'd ask for some... I am having a smith put a Timney trigger in my ruger RSM since I was tired of the heavy creepy trigger. Well, I stopped by the shop to check how things were going and he wasn't there, but one of the guys said he had to do a lot of fitting but for me to try it out. The trigger was very crisp but seemed to be a bit high up. The tip of my trigger finger seemed to fit down low at the tip of the trigger which just feels different. Is this normal? I can get used to it but it is different. Also, the smith will have to do some more work as the safety was very stiff to disengage. Is this a normal thing for them to have to do all this work on the ruger rsm? I thought timneys were pretty easy to install and had thought about doing it myself (guess I'm glad I didn't). The same smith did an outstanging trigger job on another rifle of mine, but this one has me worried. Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Posts: 51 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Timney seems to be like the Spec-Tech trigger I had installed on my RSM, the finger sets higher in the trigger guard than the original but it seems to work fine. I don't know why they changed the design unless it was built for a regular 77 which may be shaped different.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have RSM's and hope you kept your original trigger parts. There are steps that can be taken to much improve the performance of the factory trigger and yet have complete confidence in it. If the Timney works OK then great, but I would hang on to the original parts. Good luck.

PS Check this out: www.centerfirecentral.com and review the section on Ruger 77 triggers.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks in advance for your advice![/QUOTE]

1, The tip of my trigger finger seemed to fit down low at the tip of the trigger which just feels different. Is this normal? Yup!

2,I stopped by the shop to check how things were going and he wasn't there, but one of the guys said he had to do a lot of fitting but for me to try it out. Also, the smith will have to do some more work as the safety was very stiff to disengage. Is this a normal thing for them to have to do all this work on the ruger.

Yup, most of the work is fitting the safety on the Timney / Ruger!

3,Should I be worried?
Only if you keep bugging the guy?? Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with my .416, too much gap between trigger and guard. I haven't gotten around to calling them to see if this is normal or if they have a trigger with a bit more length.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Andrew M.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys! I feel better now.

dsiteman -- I told the smith I wanted the old parts -- I'll definately check that out! Thanks!

tsturm -- thanks, It was just different than what I had thought but I feel more confident now. I haven't bugged them too much 2 phone calls and a drive by in a month & a half, of course I dropped off 2 rifles & a pistol. Smiler

Posts: 51 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote