Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

enfield stock refinishing
 Login/Join

posted
i want to refinish my stock and metal, but i was curious as to if there was any distinguishing marks i should look for because i dont want to take out any markings that may add value, or if it is a valuable rifle, (which im pretty sure its not), i dont want to kill the value. here are markings i can see:

reciever stamped:
C.I.A. GEORGIA VT.
CAL. .303 ENGLAND
SER. MK413696

No.4 Mk.1

Buttstock socket stamped:
M.1943
AF

no other discernable markings that i can see, and none on the stock, should there be?

thanks for all help!

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I understand what you're thinking, but I would advise against trying to restore your Enfield. Many of us set out to refurbish our mil-surps with the best of intentions and open pandora's box instead and often aren't totally happy with the results. What I would advise instead is clean all the cosmoline off it, clean up the stock and use a little tung oil to seal it up and go shooting.

The first set of stampings you note is the importer's mark. Century Arms International imported your rifle.

You have a Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk1. Without looking it over, I can't tell you who made it.

You have a good rifle, well built and reliable, and may even turn out to be quite accurate. I would hang onto it and enjoy it as is. If however, you have a hankering to work on Lee-Enfields, look around the local pawnshops and wait for one that's had a scope added to tinker with; they usually sell cheap.

Good luck with your new rifle!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yeah thats what i had planned. i didnt want to fully restore it, just clean up the wood and get some rust off so i wasnt embarrassed to go shoot it at the range. thanks for the info.

what does the markings on the buttstock socket mean? manufacture date?

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe so.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AF on an Enfield usually means Australian Forces, but since yours is a No.4MkI that is a little puzzling. Australia never adopted the No.4, having stayed with the No.1MkIII into the 50's when they adopted the FN FAL.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote