New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 conversion???
 Login/Join

<1LoneWolf>
posted
OK.....just got a 30-06 in a Remington 700 ADL. It is beat up and ugly, but the action is fine. Exterior rust! Found it at the Harrisburg, PA gun show cheap. So now, the question.

I'm going to turn it into a semi heavy barrel, and multi-use firearm. I am staying with the 06 as a cartridge start....tell me, I have a 25-06, what is the most efficent caliber size to go to for the 06 case capacity. Is 6mm good, what about 6.5. They are the two that cross my mind. Obviously we have the 257, but I own an accurate one. This is going to be a fun project. I'll probably have a Shilen Match barrel turned to my "medium hvy" config.

What would work, 6mm or 6.5?

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

posted Hide Post
I went to that show on Saturday, even saw some lefthand rifles, although not in chamberings I wanted.

I'd go with either the 6.5-06 or a .280 Remington as the most versatile choices. I love the 6mm's, but would not use it for anything larger than deer.

The 6.5-06 and .280 are enough for sheep, mountain goat, elk, moose, black bear, et al.

Pick the one you find most interesting and go from there.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
My riflesmith just made a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved that is VERY accurate, so we ordered match barrels for ourselves to try it out.

A 6-06 would be slightly "whorse" than a 240�Weatherby... But as far as efficiency goes, IMHO there is no inefficient 06�based cartridge, a 6-06 would push it though... 25-06 to 375-06, everyone superb within it�s own habitat. AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 280 rem. that aways does nice or just put a heavy 06 barrel back on it I built a Mark X action like that years ago shoots great. When it comes to all around a 06 is hard to beat. unless you plan on shooting more smaller stuff with it.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
One of my favorite is a 270 ackley improved, I know Ackley didn't think it was worthwhile, but I like it, and I think Saeed has used a 270AI in Africa for a bunch of different animals. Second choice is a 280AI or if you are after slightly bigger game, a 35 Whelen Imp or a 338/06AI.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Effecient?" 400 Whelen, lower expansion ratio equals more efficiency. Any cartridge firing a bullet of reasonable weight(over 100 gr.) at a velocity over about 2700 fps. will work fine. By that I mean shoot the animal in a reasonable spot an it will die quickly. As for most practical, no nonsense, results oriented, ....good old 30-06!! If you just want to get out there and put some meat on the pole,leave thw old barrel on it. Ammo will never be a problem, it shoves a heavy enough bullet fast enough. True it is not new or glamorous. If you want a hobby project get something weird and worderfull and enjoy. Both 6mm and 6.5 mm will work just fine. See above, : )

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote