New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Polishing" bbls
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I generally use JBs on most of my bbls to get them really clean and "polish" them. Although, I don't know how vegatable matter can polish steel.

What are folks opinions on using Flitz...if so, how much?

What should I and should not do?

[ 03-11-2003, 06:53: Message edited by: Mike Dettorre ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same thing...I've never used Flitz on barrels, but it does wonders on my dirty cymbals! (I'm a band director by trade)
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Flitz all teh time.

Scrub out the barrel with a bore brush, followed by some Flitz.
On new barrels, I put 50+ strokes of flitz thru a barrel before I ever fire it.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Mike--

JB has pumice in it.....it does very little to steel but abrades copper. It's the same stuff, but a much finer grit size as whats found in Lava hand soap.

I've never used Flitz for anything but polishing motorcyle pipes so can't speak to that and don't know what the active ingrediant is.

I try barrel polishing with bullets before anything else. [Smile]

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Jack,

Don't be so sensible.

Terry,

So u just clean the bbl good...then put some flitz on a patch and give it 50 or so strokes...

Say a fresh patch with fresh flitz every 10 or 15 strokes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.zediker.com/tubb/finalfinish.html

David Tubb's system of abrasive bullets works for Hi-Power competitors nation-wide.

Worth a look.

Posts: 663 | Location: Seabeck WA | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use flitz in the bores of my rifles after cleaning. I've tried it for cleaning, but it looks as it just polishes the powder fouling.
It also makes a fine bagel spread. [Big Grin]

Renm. 222

Posts: 516 | Location: Ar. | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
mike 222, the funny thing is, that is one of the things I like most about Flitz (Not the bagel thing, the fouling polishing!). Flitz is very good at getting the hard "carbon" deposits out of the throat area. It gets it done faster than JB's, and is much easiear (cleaner) to work with. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote