New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obrendorf back home
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I now have my first rifle built as a project in TSJC 1961 shop class. I didn't remember it being an Obrendorf until now. It is now 52 yrs old an still has the same look as when it was made. Styles have changed so mush in all this time.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les

How would one know that they had a genuine "Les Brooks" rifle? How did you mark your work down through the years?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started in 1970 with my name stamp on the barrels. Pre 1970 I tried to stamp (LB 68) as example under the barrel. I would know if I barreled it and the year it is done. This rifle has my name hand stamped on the right side of the barrel. I have lots of snap shots taken from the old days to help me remember these guns.

This action was the safety breach C type and I didn't know much about these actions when it was made. This is the medium length Peruvian 1909 action. I remember that it was different from other '98 actions. I am glad that I took pictures from about 1955 to now.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The V'eed maple forearm tip brings back memories. Pleasant ones imight add.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, as rifles can and will be rebarreled, and restocked, over the years, if I was a custom rifle maker I would mark the action and stock as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that most were marked in the barrel channel or under the butt pad.

This is the only rifle that I have in a vise and inletting the barrelled action.

Remember that I was learning how to make bolt knobs and weld on with O/A. That was my first try at knurling. Instructor Louie Mrace thought it looked good enough for my rifle.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Fascinating story. How did you come to reacquire it after all these years?

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Fascinating story. How did you come to reacquire it after all these years?

I would love to hear that story as well.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew where the rifle was kept most of the time. I sold it to my dad to get more money for buying actions and barrels to make more rifles. A brother hunted with the 243 Win for 35 or 40 years. I wanted to get it back in my hands to study how it was inletted. I found that the stock has cracked thru the recoil lug area and will need to be repaired with glass bedding. I own it now and will restore it to the original condition.

I didn't know that the GI bill on school funding had expired in 1961. The two years in school had to be paid by a very poor student. The year after I finished the Govt. passed another GI bill, but it didn't help me. I paid back a Student Loan in 10 years.