New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulling a Ruger #1 barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Never pulled a #1 barrel. Wondering how hard it is and any tips you might have on doing so. Thanks

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing special, they just unscrew. You may have to grip the barrel ahead of the hammer spring perch, so just be careful to apply torque and not a bending load to the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockrat:
Never pulled a #1 barrel. Wondering how hard it is and any tips you might have on doing so. Thanks

You have to pull the rib and remove the two guide pins. You have to remove everything, except the trigger assembly. Everything includes the falling block, lever, linkage, ejector assembly, extractor etc., in order to pull the barrel. Other than that, nothing special. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might mention that the Ruger web site provides a video on taking the NO.1/3 apart and really not much to it. Would point out that there are a couple pins in the trigger/safety area that will drop out if turned sideways. They are not a tight fit and the video does not warn about this. Just do it over a white sheet/table top and you won't have any problems.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, didn't know if they had a "locktite" on the threads and a heat gun was in order or not.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You will not need a heat gun.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote