THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Replacement Trigger Recommendation for '47 Mauser Griffin & Howe?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement Trigger Recommendation for '47 Mauser Griffin & Howe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted
Just returned from Africa where I had the chance to put my beautiful Griffin & Howe 1947 Mauser-action .275 Rigby through the paces.

One flaw that I had decided earlier to overlook nevertheless revealed itself to be serious: the original trigger mechanism. It has a lot of creep and is anything but smooth. G&H admitted as much when they had the rifle, but because the trigger itself was original and nicely engraved they recommended that I live with it. Well, I can't live with it and would like to replace it with a top-of-the-line mechanism. This is not going to be a cabinet-queen: I intend to use this rifle a lot; originality will have to take a back seat.

I'm no expert on triggers or gunsmithing, though I hear good things about Jewell triggers. Maybe that's too sophisiticated for what I'm looking for, which is a nice, clean, crisp 2.5 pound trigger pull with zero creep or take-up. Can I hear from the experts on what they would install? Anyway to retrofit the old trigger onto a new trigger mechanism – I've got to admit, it is pretty.

Many thanks!

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
get a Blackburn, now manufactured by Swift Bullet co.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations for your hunt.

Do youself a favor and buy a german Recknagel, part # 30040-0000 (www.recknagel.de) and forget the rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a Kepplinger available through Brownell's. They have a very elegant trigger blade to match the classic lines f your piece and are available as single stage, 2 stage, or set models.

A Timney would make a nice pull but the trigger blade is wide and will require mods to the opening in your trigger guard. The profile of their blade would clash with your gun's classic lines as well.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either the Blackburn or the new one from Alaska Arms.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I like the Blackburn too. It places the trigger farther back in the trigger bow like a shotgun. I have the Kepplinger single-set trigger and it is pretty, but not as crisp as the Blackburn.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's not an acceptable response from G&H. The Mauser trigger can be crispened up to be a good mechanism and they should know how to do it. I'd keep the rifle all original if it was me. Send it to them and say "improve the trigger action - it's not rocket science."

Posts: 39 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the rifle, and hate the size of the scope on it.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that a Mauser trigger can be reworked to get a decent trigger pull, even if you have to swap it out for a different Mauser trigger. I have one of the Kepplinger triggers (looks good) and have never been able to get the darn thing adjusted properly although I got it pretty good. Timney's just don't look right and Jewel doesn't make a Mauser trigger. Look for a trigger with an attractive shoe and doesn't need much if any additional inletting to get the housing into the stock.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always recommend Timney, though I reshape the lever somethilng like a fine double shotgun rear trigger

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Hard to ignore the advice of Duane, but I really like my Blackburn; I prefer the steel over the alum (if Swift still offers both), but that is just me

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G&H admitted it was a creepy trigger, did you inquire if they could fix it?

wonderin'.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
G&H admitted it was a creepy trigger, did you inquire if they could fix it?

wonderin'.

They could not fix it and recommended that I keep it as is. I thought I could live with it, but my recent hunt proved otherwise. A new trigger is in the works.

By the way, many thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. (I hadn't thought about it but the idea of a bigger scope is also worth considering.)

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Timney I have on one of my CZ is really good.It is the best trigger on any of my rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, scope is very large. Probably works for you though. I use mostly Blackburn triggers.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McNabb:
That's not an acceptable response from G&H. The Mauser trigger can be crispened up to be a good mechanism and they should know how to do it. I'd keep the rifle all original if it was me. Send it to them and say "improve the trigger action - it's not rocket science."

Kinda makes me think that maybe someone at G&H had a brain fart or was trying to sabotage the G&H rep. Even a newbie smith (with proper instruction, grin) can make a 2-stage trigger break like a glass rod, so what's the big deal?

Something stinks here.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote