New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith Kink: "Raptor" rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We recently received a Raptor Arms rifle into the shop. This rifle is the precursor to the Mossberg Patriot line. It was missing the bottom metal assy and the action screws. Customer wanted it restored to shooting condition. I could find no parts available and had to make an educated guess. Mossberg apparently bought out the line and made a few changes. The first model out was the Mossberg 1700. Images on the Gunparts site looked close and I ordered the bottom metal assy in hopes it would fit. I was initially exhilarated as the bottom metal fit perfectly into the stock. The integral mag box unfortunately was proud of the stock inlet on the top end. Action screws were 1/4 x 22 and I had to get some from Fastenal. The screw heads had to be dressed to fit the TG openings. I epoxy bedded the action to be even with the top of the mag box. Once this was done I proceeded to function testing. Like the M700 Rem the Raptor requires a mag box that extends up and under the feed lips of the receiver. The M1700 box only came even with the bottom of the receiver. This allowed the rounds to move laterally too much and they would not feed. Therefore there was a gap that needed to be filled. I removed two strips of a box mag from a scrap M700 Rem and soft soldered these into the receiver under the feed lips. Then I dressed them even to the receiver bottom. Final assy and testing were perfect with flawless feeding.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Posts: 3717 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one of those projects where the work needed, exceeded the amount that one could charge.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Sounds like one of those projects where the work needed, exceeded the amount that one could charge.

Sound too, like Bob is the kind of guy who goes for a satisfied Customer as the end-game. Respect!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote