New
Find
Notify
Tools

The greater Sin - flute or re-profile?
 Login/Join

posted
Gidday Guys

I have a TC Encore coming. Its gotta lose some weight for its intended duties (its no use telling me there are better horses to back, single shot take downs are as rare as hens teeth down here in NZ, I had to take what was available and what I could afford).

So what is likely to give the best outcome with the least risk to accuracy with a factory Encore barrel, turn it to a new profile, or flute it to minimum wall thickness specs??

I will make and fit a new fore-end using bands rather than screws, so that won't be an issue.

Thanks
Foster

Posts: 14 | Location: Southland, NZ | Registered: 12 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it first and see if it has any tendency to string from heating. Shoot a fairly rapid 10 shots.

If it doesn't string, either is a good option. If it does, fluting would be better.

Just my thoughts on it.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I see the logic in your methodology . . . sounds good. Cheers

Posts: 14 | Location: Southland, NZ | Registered: 12 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I know it isn’t what you asked but it would be best to just leave it alone. Encore barrels with welded on hanger already is problematic for uneven stresses on the barrel. Flutes don’t amount to enough weight saving to justify the work involved, and where will you be if after you turn down the contour and accuracy goes to hell? If it were easy for you to get another barrel it would be a different story, but since that’s not the case I’d leave it alone.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How short can you cut the barrel? The factory plastic stocks are usually lighter than wood. There is a bantam/youth wood stock which is shorter and lighter. You can install a thinner recoil pad and use a pistol forend. You can remove weight from the stock and forend. You can save some weight in the choice of scope mount/rings and scope. Overall, an Encore rifle with scope under 7lbs is feasible but they are still chunky in the middle based on the mass of the frame and breech end of the barrel. If your skills are up to fluting, google "rifle barrel stubbing" to see what some people do with these and similar single shots. If you can get an Encore shotgun barrel, you can make barrel inserts.

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
If it is one of those 28 inch barreled pro hunters, the best thing you can do is cut it to 22 or 24 and recrown.

The 28 inch TC Encore barrels are great barrels if you cut them down. They are just too whippy for that action at full length.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote