New
Find
Notify
Tools

My scope is rotating????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I put a good scope on a 338 Wim mag, and after about 40 shots the cross hairs are tilting to the right. what can I do to stop this? the rings are Millet angle lock and they are tight!

The scope is a LEUPOLD.

The screws are still tight too!

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lap the rings, or a light dusting with powdered rosin. I heard of guys using what they referred to as "liquid electrical tape", but have never tried it myself. If the rings are in alignment the rosin ought to do it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a burris do that but the reticle was moving not the scope body.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
liquid electrical tape, i never heard it called that. it does hold scopes without cruching force thats for sure, just a little spot on the inside of the scope rings is all it takes. what is really nice, it doesn't harm the scope finish and cleans up with mineral spirits. i use scotchkote electrical coating part number 054007-14853. the can i have is probaly ten years old.

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
liquid electrical tape, i never heard it called that. it does hold scopes without cruching force thats for sure, just a little spot on the inside of the scope rings is all it takes. what is really nice, it doesn't harm the scope finish and cleans up with mineral spirits. i use scotchkote electrical coating part number 054007-14853. the can i have is probaly ten years old.

I can vouch for this too. I bought a little tube of it and it's lasted for years.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Millet rings typically come with paper tape inserts for the rings. Sometimes I need to use them and sometimes I don't.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
This is what I use Liquid Tape

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

check the reticle

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
learned something new, there really is a liquid tape.

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Scott:
quote:

check the reticle

This! put an index from your scope onto the ring (like some nail polish or whiteout) to show that it isnt moving, I bet the reticle keeps going around

Posts: 12 | Location: Canterbury NZ | Registered: 21 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If the scope body was rotating the turrets will be moving. Easy to tell if it's the scope body or the reticle.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote